• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Greenland ice sheet surface melted in four days

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Greenland ice sheet melted at a faster rate this month than at any other time in recorded history, with virtually the entire ice sheet showing signs of thaw.
The rapid melting over just four days was captured by three satellites. It has stunned and alarmed scientists, and deepened fears about the pace and future consequences of climate change.

NASA warns 97 percent of Greenland ice sheet surface melted in four days
I find this very disturbing that so much of the surface of Greenland's ice sheet has melted. Scientist say this is unprecedented and are alarmed by it, they thought it was a mistake at first.

Last edited:

Bjarki

Registered Member
"unprecedented"

Loroa Koening, a glaciologist and a member of the research team analysing the satellite data, said: 'Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average.

'With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time, but if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome.'

I wouldn't worry too much about it Hilander. The average temperature worldwide hasn't shown any increase in the last 20 years. Whatever the cause of this 'natural' event may be, it's not persistent global warming.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for the link, if it doesn't happen again I will not be worried about it. It just seemed strange to me that the surface of the ice sheet would melt like that.