• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Green Ark

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Green 'Ark' could house 10,000 -- and looks like a Slinky! - CNN.com

Russian architect Alexander Remizov thinks so -- and his prototype design, called "The Ark," bears more than a passing resemblance to the classic children's toy, the Slinky.

I find this to be interesting design and intent. Any thought as to practicality? Costs? Also do you think we could see these in the near future?

TX_Naturalist

Registered Member
It's definitely an interesting concept. As to costs and practicality... I wouldn't know. Do I think these will be used anytime in the near future? Again, I don't know. But if they can be constructed quickly, efficiently and cheaply enough they would be great for disaster victims who need temporary housing. I get the impression that they can be put up and taken down fairly quickly so they don't have to be a permanent structure - unless I misread the article.

I don't think they would become cities per say as the article suggested, at least not anytime soon, but sort of modern industrial apartments/condos with a green twist might be popular in the right locations.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I love the idea and I really hope that it turns out to be practical. This would work great for dense countries like Japan that need to maximize efficiency in their residential areas. I wouldn't mind living in a suburb full of these.

They would need amazing air recirculation systems along with honest police to keep order. The entire thing would need a super efficient way to avoid fires, too. One fire would ruin an entire city of 10,000.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've always been fascinated by the idea of these self-contained cities, and I think it's likely they'll become a reality at some point. However, I don't think it's something we'll be seeing in the near future. Like Steve said, they're great for maximizing space while also reducing our impact on the environment.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That's a fantastic concept. I really like it. My initial thought was that I wouldn't want to live that enclosed, but it has a lot of benefits because it is enclosed. I would definitely live in something like that.

Like Steve and Echoes, I don't see this realising any time soon. Probably not even in our lifetime.