• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gred Oden

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NBA Comparison: David Robinson

Strenths: Incredibly fluid athlete for a 7 footer... Tremendous speed in the open court ... A center with his agility and talent comes along roughly every 10-15 years ... Extremely quick and explosive ... Enormous potential ... His game has improved significantly from his sophomore to junior seasons ... Starting to understand how to use his body and how dominant he can be ... Big defensive presence, and a terrific shot blocker with great length, timing and instincts ... Excellent rebounder ... Soft touch around the basket ... Has developed a decent turnaround hook with his right hand ... Very good passer with nice court vision (averaged 3.7 assists per game as a junior) ... Quality kid with a great attitude ... Very coachable, listens and wants to improve ... Team player with a winners mentality ... Improving on a daily basis ... Decent free throw shooter at 64% but needs to and should improve upon it (improved considerably from 51% as a sophomore) ...

Weaknesses: Soft spoken. Very humble personality, which is a positive and a negative in that some would like to see him develop more of a swagger of confidence, but Duncan and Robinson were/are both silent (humble) assassins ... Needs to add more nastiness on the floor to dominate ... Still raw in terms of post moves, they are developing, but still have a ways to go ... He is so dominant on the high school level he hasn't needed to develop any range or post skills ... Doesn't have the ability to create offense for himself as he can overwhelm anyone he faces with his size and athleticism ... Still scores mostly on ally oops and put backs ... Has nice touch, but needs to develop a consistent mid range shot (ala Robinson) ... Strength wont be an issue for him ultimately, but right now he needs to add muscle to his upper body and legs ... Almost too unselfish ...

Outlook: The top candidate for the number 1 pick in the 2007 draft, one year removed from high school ... A year of college should give him a great stepping stone for the NBA.

Courtesy of www.nbadraft.net

This guy is suppose to be the next big thing since LeBron James, I've only seen him play a couple of times, and saw highlights of him and he really impressed me, I am really glad that they made the new age limit to 19 years old, because college will help him a lot, and make him more prepare to the real mans game, even though he looks like a beast.

T

the.game

He's got his FT% to 80% and that's going to mean a lot in both college and the NBA. Oden is a defensive monster right now and if he can keep working on his offensive game, he has a good shot at being the NBA's next great center given the lack of depth and quality there is at the position right now.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes I agree he's compared to David Robinson, and David was a good center and I believe that Oden will do a good job, in College and the NBA, like I said I watched him play a couple of times and he's a monster, can't wait to see him play in college it will be something to see.

M

Molina

I think he gonna be the 1st pick of 2007 Draft, I think he can be better than David, hes fast and strong, hope he come to 76ers :D

S

Smoke

Molina said:
I think he gonna be the 1st pick of 2007 Draft
He has stated that he's going to complete his college before entering into the NBA draft.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I reallly doubt that is going to happen my friend, because he's going to get bored of the College games, because he's going to be so dominant. Also after he wins a NCAA championship I am sure he's going to want to make the big bucks and play against real NBA Players, that can give him competetion.

S

Smoke

Vince Carter said:
I reallly doubt that is going to happen my friend, because he's going to get bored of the College games, because he's going to be so dominant. Also after he wins a NCAA championship I am sure he's going to want to make the big bucks and play against real NBA Players, that can give him competetion.
I agree he should.

I watched a documentary on him and all of his teachers say that he ask's many questions in class. He also said he likes to learn. He cares more about his education than his athletic ability.

I agree with you that he definately would make big bucks if he goes to the NBA. But he's going to get paid if he completes his college studies or not. He's a hard worker.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sorry but I don't see him staying is four years in college, I just don't see it happening, is agent will kinda change is mind and make him go to the NBA, and he'll do like a lot of current NBA players did and go to college on a part time basis, like Vince Carter did.

P

preludepunk27

Oden won't stay all 4 years at Ohio State. Only way he'll stay for his sophomore year is if they make it to the final 4 next season and he gets tempted to try to win it all again. If he doesn't leave after freshman year...he'll definately leave after his sophomore season.

The guy is a beast though. I got a lot of friends who are big Ohio State fans so they're anticipating a final four visit already. They have some decent players...Oden could definately take them over the hump and be a championship contender.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For sure he will take them over the hump last year they had a good team, unfourtunately they lost early in the tournament, but this player will bring them far that's for sure, and like I stated earlier there's no way he's staying after is freshman year.