Greatest World Series?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by PhillyKid90210, Oct 27, 2007.

1. What is the best world series of all time. I have to go with the 97 world series between the indians/marlins. Series went to 7 games and the marlins took it in a dramatic series. What are your people's greatest world series game of all time?

2. You could make a case for the 1912 World Series, but Game 6 of that Series (Game 7, if you count the tie game) was THROWN by the Red Sox, including Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper and pitcher/punching-bag-for-a-day Joe Wood, so it's hard for me to pick that tainted Series, despite the generally great drama. Also, a pair of errors--one official, one not--gave the Red Sox the final game in the bottom of the 10th. Not my pick;

The 1934 and 1985 World Series were thrilling affairs... up until Game 7, which in both cases was won 11-0 by the Series victor. Hard to pick a Series, no matter how otherwise great, which culminates in an 11-0 stomping. For the same reason, despite the generally taut games and the thrill of Larsen's no-hitter, the anti-climactic 9-0 Yankee stomping of the Dodgers in Game 7 rules out the 1956 World Series;

The 1960 World Series had the ultimate ending: the only walkoff HR in a Series' Game 7, but the three Yankees victories were such massacres, I can't pick this one;

The 1973 World Series featured a lot of close, hard-fought games, but Game 7 was won early by a big A's rally for a lead they never relinquished, and besides, how could you select this Series, in which the A's eventual victory was aided greatly by the sad spectacle of 42-year-old Willie Mays' butchering the position he had redefined like no player other than Tris Speaker?

I'm respectfully going to disagree with the above poster's selection of the 1997 World Series. Games 1, 2, 4 and 6 weren't all that competitive, and Game 3 was a Little League affair, with a 14-11 score;

This leaves 4 candidates in my opinion:

(1) The 1947 World Series;

(2) The 1975 World Series;

(3) The 1986 World Series; and

(4) The 1991 World Series.

You can't go wrong with any of these. The 1947 Series made immortals out of 3 otherwise forgettable players: Bill Bevins, Cookie Lavagetto and Al Gionfriddo. A strong case can be made for 1947, in which 6 of the 7 games were very competitive. Game 4 featured Bevins' extremely peculiar bid for no-hitter, accompanied by 9 or 10 walks, which he lost with 2 outs in the 9th inning, when Lavagetto banged a 2-run double off the RF wall. Game 3 was a slugfest won by 1 run; Game 5 was a pitchers' duel won by 1 run. Game 6 is one of the most famous World Series games ever, with the Dodgers hanging on for a thrilling 8-6 victory, in a game whose iconic image is Al Gionfriddo's spectacular running catch of Joe DiMaggio's line drive to the 415 FT sign in LF, prompting the game's most famous "Oh, Doctor!" call. Finally, Game 7 was a well-played affair in which the Yankees came from behind to win 5-2. This Series definitely has to be considered a candidate.

Next is the 1975 World Series, in which the losers were likewise on the winning end of two iconic moments. After the Sox coasted to a 6-0 win in Game 1, the Reds came back to take Games 2 and 3 by a single run, one of those games being tainted by a bad umpire call. The Sox held on for dear life to win Game 4 by a 5-4 margin, then, after a fairly easy Reds victory in Game 5, came what is probably the greatest and most famous game in World Series history: Game 6, with the 3-run pinch-hit HR by Bernie Carbo in the bottom of the 8th to tie the game at 6-6 and rally the Sox from the dead, sending Fenway into a throbbing frenzy; a series of great defensive plays by both teams over the next several innings; and, finally, the Carlton Fisk HR which needs no explanation to anyone who's read this far. Last, the Red Sox jumped off to a 3-0 lead in Game 7 and appeared coasting for victory off the previous night's momentum, but a 2-run HR by Tony Perez in the 6th cut it to a single run, then the Reds tied it in the top of the 7th, and, finally, a Joe Morgan shallow single scored the winning run with 2 outs in the top of the 9th. It's awfully hard to beat that Series for thrills, and since I remember Game Six like it was yesterday, this one gets my vote;

Next is the 1986 World Series, in which the Red Sox won an otherwise very sound 1-0 game on an infield error, then took Game 2 easily when Roger Clemens (in his first Cy Young year) easily bested the young phenom, Dwight Gooden. Leading 2 games to 0 and headed home for 3, the Sox lost Games 3 and 4 badly, then rebounded to take Game 5 4-2, as Gooden was again ineffective and failed to make it out of the 5th inning. Then came the infamous 6th game, a thrilling affair which went into extra innings tied at 3-3, whereupon the Sox scored 2 runs in the 10th, got the first 2 Mets out in the bottom of the 10th, and actually had the scoreboard operator flash an famously premature "Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox, 1986 World Champions" message. Not exactly. Ineffective pitching yielded 3 consecutive singles; a pitcher who deserves to be every bit as big a goat as the 1Bman wild-pitched home the tying run and moved the winning run to second; and, finally, Bill Buckner committed baseball's most famous error to get the winning run home. Game 7 was hardly a letdown, as the Red Sox AGAIN carried a 3-0 lead into the 6th inning, with 2-time winner Bruce Hurst sailing along and appearing destined for Series MVP laurels, only to have it all come apart when the Mets, riding the energy of Sid Fernandez' spectacular relief performance to electrify the crowd and keep it within reach, scored 3 runs to tie it. The Mets scored 3 more in the 7th to seemingly put it away at 6-3, but had to hang on for dear life during an 8th-inning Red Sox rally that fell one run short, making it 6-5. Finally, a 2-run bottom of the 8th salted it away for the Mets. It's hard to pick a Series where a wild pitch and a Little League-type fielding error enabled the winners to stay alive in Game 6, but this was one hell of a Series, and certainly must be considered a candidate;

and finally,

The 1991 Series deserves a long, hard look. It wasn't filled with thrilling slugfests, but no Series has ever been so consistently close. The Twins won Game 1 with relative comfort, 5-2, then scored a run in the bottom of the 8th to win a tense Game 2 by 3-2. When the Series shifted to Atlanta, the Braves took over, but none too easily. A come-from-behind Twins rally in Game 3 forced extra innings, with the Braves winning the do-or-die game 5-4 in the 12th inning. It was a portent of things to come. The Braves scored one in the 7th to tie Game 4, then one in the bottom of the 9th to win it and even the Series. After a Braves blowout in Game 5, the Braves twice came back to tie Game 6, sending it into extra innings, where it was famously won 4-3 in the bottom of the 11th on Kirby Puckett's ("We will see you folks tomorrow night!") HR. Finally, Game 7 featured the inexhaustible Jack Morris's mindboggling 10-inning complete game shutout, in which he escaped serious trouble time after time, including in the 8th inning, when rookie Chuck Knoblauch decoyed Lonnie Smith out of a run and Sid Bream grounding into a 1-out, bases loaded double play. Kent Hrbek lined into a bases-loaded double play to end the bottom of the 8th. Finally, the Twins scored the game's only run in the bottom of the 10th, to make Morris the sport's most famous Game 7 winner, capturing as hard-fought a 1-0 victory as one ever will see. But the score notwithstanding, the game was filled with action, as the Braves stranded 8 and went 1 for 10 with runners in scoring position, while the Twins stranded 12, hit into 3 double plays, and went 1 for 7 with runners in scoring position. The "1" was Gene Larkin, hitting a warning-track single to score Dan Gladden with the Series-winning run.

OK. Those are my 4 candidates for the best ever, with 1975 getting my vote.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

For me it's the 1993 World Series, the Toronto Blue Jays were facing the Philadelphia Phillies, the first five games were so competetive, lots of runs were scored, sometimes you had great pitching, but what makes it the best is game 6. The Jays were playing in Toronto and were leading the series 3-2, it was the bottom of the ninth and the Jays were down by two runs, and Mitch Williams was pitching for the Phillies and Joe Carter was at-bat for the Jays, they were two runners on base, Alomar was on second and I believe Molitor was on first. Williams starts pitching and he seemed to have success at fist but then he commited on mistake, he pitched Carter a fastball and Carter hit a three run home run to win the game, the series and the World Series. It was one of the most famous home runs of all time, and personally I think that was the best World Series of all time.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

2001 WS was a great one.

5. 2001 was an extremely dramatic Series, by far the best of this century to date. I didn't include it in my list of candidates because I don't like selecting as "best ever" a Series defined by failures. Kim's back-to-back nightmares of game-blowing HR's in Games 4 and 5 brought back--for me, at least--the image of the Dave Henderson HR that, in effect, killed Donnie Moore. The look on Kim's face after the HR that ended Game 5 made me want to cry, and that's not hyperbole. My then-girlfriend did cry for him.

Then came Game 7. It was taut drama by any standard, and I've watched baseball so long I believe such a grueling, low-scoring game can be just as thrilling as the 10-9 slugfest that Mazeroski ended with his HR (and ultimate ticket to Cooperstown) in 1960. But there were two pivotal Yankees errors in that winning rally: first, the astonishing sight of Rivera's misthrow; and second, though it's not technically credited as an error, the 3Bman's failure to throw to 1st base for a very likely double play.

It was a great series, for sure. But the element of failure, and the accompanying element of personal agony, were just too influential in that Series' outcome for me to pick it as the best ever.

BHN

6. jpmalchow

jpmalchow Guest

best world series?

i must say that the the 1975 series wins by far. The ragtag red sox went into as the heavy underdogs against the big red machine. they had players like yaz who had hit only .269 that year, dewey evans, jim rice, freddy lynn, luis tiant and pudge fisk. All hall of fame calibur, but none real superstars. The Reds however, carried the arsenal of Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, and Ken Griffey Sr. . Boston had a record of 95-65, and Cincinnatti had a whopping 108-54 record. Talk about having an edge. But still the red sox brought the series through 7 games before inevitably losing. The 6th game is the most celebrated in World Series history, with Dewey Evans catch in right, Geronimo's homer to give the Reds a lead, Bernie Carbo's pinch hit eight inning 3 run homer on an 0-2 pitch, and then on the second pitch from Pat Darcy in the twelfth inning, Pudge Fisk's magnificent drive. Fitting in every way for a Red Sox. Not a towering blast that soared over the heads of fans, but rather a low pitch, that probably would have been called a ball if he hadnt swung, hit with hands choked up on the bat, and unclear of the outcome until the very last moment of the game. To this day, Carlton Fisk maintains that "we, the red sox, won that series... 3 games to 4." It had that impact. Our Boy, born in New Hampshire hit a pitch that sent churchbells all over new england ringing throughout the night, into morning, october 22nd, 1975.