Greatest teams to never win title?

Discussion in 'NBA' started by TDG1987, Apr 21, 2007.

1. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

In spirit of the NBA playoffs, let's come up with a list of great teams that couldn't get the job done in the playoffs and your thoughts on them. These teams don't neccessarily have to be runner-ups, they can also be teams who never made the finals. You can put a team from a specific time period or just a team from a specific year. I'll start off with two teams that never even made the finals.

Early 2000s Kings-You had Webber in his prime, Bibby, Peja, Divac, and Doug Christie as a strong starting lineup. Bobby Jackson was a very good backup PG. Jason Williams and Corliss Williamson were 2 guys that were there from the beginning of their run but since left and guys like Turkoglu and Brad Miller that came along later. They had a great offense and were especially adept at passing the ball. They had some epic matchups against the Mavs and Lakers in the playoffs but they didn't get the job done when it mattered the most.

2000 Trail Blazers-Check out this group of players: Greg Anthony, Brian Grant, Stacy Augmon, Jermaine O'Neal, Scottie Pippen, Arvydas Sabonis, Detlef Schrempf, Steve Smith, Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells, and Damon Stoudemire. For the most part, a veteran group with a ton of talent. After that year though, players started to either move on to other teams or to retirement and now none of them are left.

The common denominator between the two teams is that they both blew Game 7 leads to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals. I can think of a few more off the top of my head but I'll let you guys add more.

2. dogman652

dogman652 Guest

I goatta agree with you on the Blazers. The Kings are a good team too. I can't think of any other teams that haven't won a championship that are good.... I'll write again when i think of some teams

3. Veloci-T

Veloci-T Registered Member

idont know much teams that never won a championship, i dont think the bobcats ever did, memphis i know never did, but anyways, Sacremento is probably the best championship-less team out ther

4. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

I think the greatest team never a Championship has to be the Utah Jazz. John Stockton and Karl Malone were a deadly tandem theat just were unable to defeat the Bulls, who I believe were there only obstacle in becoming a dynasty.

5. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

Continuing with the Jordan theme, I believe the Blazers from the early 90's should have won a title. They had Clyde Drexler of course plus a buncha solid pros such as Cliff Robinson, Terry Porter, and Jerome Kersey. Rick Adelman was actually the coach on those teams, which I didn't know til a few years ago. They lost in the 1990 Finals to the Bad Boys version of the Pistons and in '92 to MJ and the Bulls. Also, the fact that they weren't able to have Arvydas Sabonis in his prime really hurt them (They drafted him in '86 but he couldn't play for political reasons; when he was allowed to go to the NBA, he opted to play in Europe for a few years). Many people have said that Portland could have had a dynasty if he was there during that time period.

I also believe that if the current versions of the Suns and Mavs never win a title, they would be up there on that list.

6. zunami

zunami Registered Member

The 1969 and 1970 Lakers. They had Baylor, West and Chamberlain and lost to the Celtics in 7 games and then to the Knicks in 7 games with Willis Reed inspiring the Knicks in Game 7.
    umm are you kidding me?