Greatest Shortstop of all time?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

There's been a lot of great shorstops who's played this great game of baseball, in your opinions who do you guys believe is the greatest shortstops of all time?

Please explain your answer.

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Well for the greatest shortstop of all time I am going to have to go with Honus Wagner of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Wagner was one of the greatest fielders of all time and put up incredible offensive numbers during his playing career. A .321 lifetime average and 3415 hits puts him in first place for me.

3. Babe_Ruth

Wagner is one of the greatest players of all time. He definitely the greatest shortstop to play the game. He was a tremondous hitter. He didn't hit many home runs, but that's because he played in the Dead Ball ERA and they didn't hit much home runs back than. He's also arguably the greatest defensive shortstop of all time. What a lot of people don't know about him as well is that he was a great baserunner. I am not only talking about stealing bases, I am talking when he was on base he was very smart. Add all that together and it makes a great player.

Honus Wagner is the greatest shortstop of all time in my opinion.

4. Millz

I read somewhere that he stole second, third and home in the same inning three times in this career. That's unbelievable to me and goes back to your point on his incredible baserunning skills.

5. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

You know my heart keeps saying the Wizard Of Oz, but it's so hard to pick out one shortstop as the greatest of all time, there's such a plethora of them with more to come.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Honus. Easily. Amazing fielder, very good hitter, and a good base runner too.

7. Millz

The St Louisian in me wants to pick Ozzie as well but Honus Wagner, because of his bat mostly, overtakes him.

8. STLCards3

STLCards3 Registered Member

Considering his huge positional advantage over Ruth, and ability to dominate offensively and defensively as a SS, a solid case can be made for Wagner as one of the 2-3 greatest players in baseball history. I personaly have him 4th, but could see him as high as second. The SS question is not really a winnable debate for anybody else.

9. Babe_Ruth

Congratulations to Honus Wagner he's now considered the greatest shortstop of all time according to General Forum.

Now it's time to move on to the greatest third baseman of all time.