Greatest player of all time?

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, May 22, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know we already had this topic before, but during the best point guards of all time someone said that it wasn't Michael Jordan, he also said that the only reason why people think he is the best of all time is because of the media, which I personally think it's none sence. Now I want your opinions, please tell me who you think is the best player to ever play the game, and why you seleted that person. I'll post my answer after a bit.

2. zunami

zunami Registered Member

The media has made him seem to be more above the level of the other greats to people who don't know a lot about basketball. So many people have never heard of Larry Bird. But still Jordan was the best. You could make a case for Chamberlain based on who he compteted against, but still you can't hold Jordan's popularity against him.

3. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russel, Julius Erving and Oscar Robertson to name a few were all legends during their professional careers. But I believe that Michael Jordan stepped it up another level compared to those players. He made so many clutch plays to win really important games it's not even funny. His style of play is copied by so many young and old players in the NBA right now it's almost unbeleivable. When the Bulls needed him to score early in his career just to win some games he'd take over the games and score in bunches, when he thought he had to involve his teamates into the game to start winning championships he changed his style of play and made his teamates into really good Basketball players. And they did start winning championships. Plus what people tend to forget is that he was an amazing defender. A lot of people forget that he was Nine-time All-Defensive First Team and won Defensive Player of the year award in 1988 because he was such a scoring machine. He brought everything to the table and that's why he's the best player of all time.

4. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Michael Jordan will always go down in my opinion as the best of all time. He was so good when it matted most and even though a lot of people would say he had a lot of media attention as well I simply say that he deserved it. Just think how many amazing dunks or plays we can think of that Jordan basically did or started. He was truly an amazing player and best of all time IMO.

5. Blackascoal

Blackascoal Guest

There is no "greatest" including Michael Jordan.

There's a long line of great players who excelled during their time in the game. If Chamberlain had to compete against today's athletes instead of the 6'9" less athletic before blacks were allowed to fully participate in the game guys that he did, he wouldn't come close to a 100 point game.

Jordan, while unquestionably a great player, not only benefited from the media, he also benefited from the NBA which allowed him to carry the ball like no other player and oppossing players couldn't breathe on Jordan as he drove to the hoop. Before the NBA instituted its special rules for Jordan the Bulls couldn't get past Detroit in the East, and he didn't win his first title unti he was 26.

Bird, Magic, Thomas were not only great players, they brought the NBA back from life support.

Oscar Robertson led the nation in college scoring 3 years in a row, and in the pros, he averaged more than 30 points a game .. before the 3 point shot, he set the NBA record for assists that lasted for more than 20 years, before they gave assists for passing the salt, and he averaged a triple-double for an entire season. Roberston was the very definition of a triple-double.

They were all great players .. but "greatest"?????

6. Babe_Ruth

I would have to disagree with you my friend, yes all the players you mentioned are great players, but Jordan is on top of the stool. The reason why I say that is because he revotulionize the game. Yes the NBA did market him a lot, but why not, they needed to make the game bigger and better, and Jordan was the man to do it. He didnt average 50ppg like Chamberlain he didn't average a triple double in a season like Big O did, he didn't win 11 championships like Russell. But he did much more. Yes he didn't win his first championship till he was 26 years old, but when he did win it he didn't stop. He left the game for two years then came back and won three more championships in a row. He was a great defensive player, he pride himself on defense. Also you got to remember that Jordan played against legends. Bird and Magic, and he still dominated the game. The competetion was tougher when Jordan played then Russell and Chamberlain played. There all great players but theres only one great player, and that's Jordan.

7. Blackascoal

Blackascoal Guest

I'm sorry my friend but Jordan did not change the game. He followed in the footsteps of Dr. J in his moves to the basket and contrary to poular opinion, he was not the greatest dunker in the game. Baron Davis has made more spectacular dunks than Jordan, and he's a lot shorter.

He didn't match Oscar Robertson's stats in or out of college and O did it without the 3 point shot. Add the 3-pointer and O's stats would have been through the roof as he loved the long bomb.

Jordan had to learn how to trust his teammates because he thought he could do it all his own.

Jordan was great, but just one of the greats in my opinion.

8. Babe_Ruth

Dr J did bring the dunking in the game but Jordan expand it to a new level, when Jordan was in the air people were wondering how long is he going to stay up there. Jordan is one of the best dunkers of all time but I don't believe he was the greatest, Carter is the best.

Big O was a great scorer, but I don't believe that Jordan is the best of all time because he can score at will, I consider him the best because he brought everything to the table, offense, defense, heart and desire, will to win and he was one of the best cluth players to play the game. I know that Big O had a great college career and Jordan wasn't really known back in North Carolina, but I don't consider college ball part of the NBA, there two seperate leagues. Also you got to remember that the defense back when Big O was playing wasn't all that good, and Jordan got double teams and triple teams.

No one can do it on there own not even Big O, you got to remember that Oscar played with Kareem which gave him a lot of open shots.

Also Jordan won 6 championships compared to 1 by Oscar. Also if you care for stats Jordan finished is career with 2514 steals, Robertson finished with 77 and Jordan finished 893 blocks and Robertson finished with 4. So Jordan was more aggressive on the defense, which is very important.

Side Note: He always wanted to get better, he practiced everyday, he was even practicing the next day after winning a championship, and he expected 100% from everyone he played with even in practice, and if they didn't give there all he would let them know it, he had a couple of fights with his own teamates. That's desire to get better right there.

9. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

Just to clarify, steals and blocks records weren't kept until Oscar Robertson's last season in '73-'74 so we don't know for certain what his numbers were for his whole career (Russell and Chamberlain never even played a season with those stats being official).

As for my opinion, I'd probably go with MJ as the best, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as most people make it out to be. There's probably 2-3 other guys that could be considered the greatest and I wouldn't complain about it.

10. Babe_Ruth

Let's also not forget that Michael Jordan played in a different ERA then let's say Kareem, Oscar and Wilt. They were amazing players during their ERA but they'd never put up numbers like their career stats in the late 80's and 90's because the competion was surparb compared to the competetion in the ERA that MJ played in. The talent level was still high in the 50's 60's and 70's but not as much as the 80's and 90's. Not even close in my opinion.