• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Greatest Player and Pitcher of All Time

OlTimeBaseball

Registered Member
There is a lot of debate to who the Greatest Player is. Many say Ruth, some say Mays, you'll find a few say Speaker and even fewer Cobb. The Greatest player of all time in my opinion is the great Ty Cobb. In 24 seasons he hit over .300 23 times. He hit over .400 3 times. 12 batting titles. 9 of those in a row. .366 batting avg. Highest Ever. 897 steals which was a record until after he died. 4189 hits which was a record until after he died. 98.2% HOF voting which was higher than Ruth or anyone listed above. He is the best pure hitter ever, the most complete offensive threat, the most threatening of all basestealers with his sharpened spikes flying in the air. As far as pitchers go it is simple for me, it is Christy Mathewson. Just look at the 1905 World Series. 3 shutouts in a what turned out to be a 5 game series. Lowest ERA besides Ed Walsh if memory serves me correct. If he does not contract TB from his brother he plays longer and has more wins. His last game, he came out of retirement to beat Mordecai Brown his arch rival on Mordecai Brown day at Wrigley in 1916 and beat Brown by throwing a CG. Thoughts?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Best player of all time has to be Babe Ruth. You have to remember he was one of the top pitchers in the game before he became an outfielder. He held the World Series record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched for over 40 years. In 1916 and 17 he won 23 and 24 games, with a total of 58 complete games. He revolutionized the game of baseball, hitting more home runs than many TEAMS did a few times. No one in today's game will ever be able to claim doing that. He hit .342 lifetime, had a 2.28 ERA, and set records that would stand for decades.

know his MLB career was short lived but I think he deserves a mention because given different circumstances, I believe that Satchel Paige would be undoubtedly the greatest pitcher to have ever played the game. Maybe he was; unfortunately we don't have "enough" stats to "prove" it. But, just read players reports (Bob Feller, Joe DiMaggio) about how hard and often he pitched in conditions and circumstances much different than more privileged or more modern pitchers.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I think it's Babe Ruth, the man could hit for average, finished his career with a lifetime batting average of .342, finished with 714 career home runs. His career slugging percentage was incredible .690. He was a hell of a pitcher, could have easily be known as one of the greatest pitchers of all time if he never moved in the outfield.

In 1927 he hit 60 home runs, finished with 164 RBI he also maintained a .356 batting average. His slugging percentage was at a ridiculous .772, those numbers are unheard of this time of age.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me without looking at stats I have to go with Babe Ruth for player and Walter Johnson for pitcher.

Their numbers speak for themselves, I think,.

Ruth is the obvious choice for best player. The numbers are staggering, and there's really a before Ruth and an after Ruth. He changed the way the game is played. He was at the center of the first big time, big money, franchise altering deal in sports history (a deal that help turn the Yankees from also-rans to powerhouse and vice-versa for the Sox). He was one of the first athletes to earn a totally disproportionate salary compared to the average folk (he earned 80 000$ in 1933, when roughly a quarter of all americans were out of work)... You could argue that no single athlete had a comparable impact on his sport than Ruth.

Pitching isn't as clear cut, but I would probably go with The Big Train. The man had seven straight sub 2,00 seasons, 11 for his career (Alexander did it "only" 6 times, Mathewson 5 times) and a sub-1,000 WHIP 9 times. It happened only 5 times after 1900 that a player has registered a WAR over 13 in a season, 3 of those by Johnson. He held the career record for most strikeouts for 60 years. And, I know I shouldn't even mention wins. But how he managed to win so many games with such bad teams... Just remarkable.