Greatest manager of all time?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

There's been a lot of great managers that have manage some ball clubs in this great history of baseball. Who do you guys believe was the best of all time?

Please explain your answer.

2. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Casey Stengel, and I think his track record speaks for itself.

3. Babe_Ruth

Stengel is a good selection but I have to go with HOFer Joe McCarthy.

His teams won nine pennants and seven World Series championships, and he never finished below fourth in an eight-team league. Talented rosters surely helped, but this man certainly knew what he was doing, who he had available, and how to use them.

In 22 full seasons of managing:
    -Nine pennants
    -Seven second-place finishes (once by losing a playoff game)
    -Three third-place finishes
    -Three fourth-place finishes

I believe he was the best.

4. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Registered Member

if u base it on winning which I almost do then it has to be Connie Mack

3,776 career wins...936 more than second place, he is at the top of the pile and it isn't even close in terms of winning

5. Babe_Ruth

You have to take into consideration that Mack coached for over 50 years, which is one of the reasons why he got so many victories. Don't get me wrong, I rank him second of all time when it comes to managing. He did everything to make his team the Philadelphia A's compete every year, and he was a great teacher of the game.

6. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Registered Member

yeah thats true, the longevity definitely padded the numbers, but still he was such a knowlegeable guy, and nearly a thousand wins over the second place guy is a lot, even though he coached for a few extra seasons