Greatest IC Champion of all time?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's been so many great Intercontinental Champions in the history of the WWF/E. In your opinion who was the greatest. You could go with Bret Hart since he's had some of the best matches while he was an IC Champ, but I just don't believe he held the title long enough to be number one.

We all know that Honky Tonk Man as the longest reign as the IC Champion, but I still don't consider him the best.

Ultimate Warrior was a good IC champion, but personally I don't believe he belongs to the top

For me it comes down between two wrestlers, I'm pretty sure you know who I have in mind. It's between Mr. Perfect and Macho Man. Mr. Perfect never got the chance to win the World Heavyweight Championship, but he was always in contention for the IC title.

Before coming a Main Eventer Macho Man was battling the likes of Tito Santana, Ricky Steamboat, Jake the Snake for the IC Title. I don't think I have to tell you that he had some great matches against those guys.

But all in all, I have to go with Perfect, I just believe he was a great IC Champion, like I said, he was more known of battling for the IC title then the other guys I mentioned.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I don't know about "of all time" with this one, but I think that Randy Orton was the best IC champ of the modern era. He just might have been the last champ to hold the title for such a long time, defend it regularly, and make it look prestigious. He really used the title as the "up and comer's" belt, as it has been used in the past. Jericho and even Mysterio did that recently, but they were already an established champions at that point.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its hard to say really. I wouldn't put Honky Tonk Man at the top even though he has the longest reign. It wasn't like he was lighting the wrestling world on fire back then.

The Chris Jericho thought is an interesting one. He's won the belt 9 times and has been a main eventer at the same time. I think I'd go with him as well.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
In my opinion, its a tie between Chris Jericho and Chyna. Jericho's won it numerous times, and well, Chyna was the first woman to win a championship that was traditionally reserved for men.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No offense, but Chyna doesn't belong anywhere near the top. I'm going to give her credit for being the first female to win the IC Championship, but she only won it technically three times(she shared it with Chris Jericho in 2000.) Her longest reign was only 56 days long, I know it's more impressive then some people, but she doesn't belong in this conversation.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Offense? None taken :)

I do realize where you come from when you say that Chyna doesn't really deserve a mention on this thread. Technically, Chyna was more an entertainer than a wrestler. However, as a female fan of the sport, it's a little difficult for me to overlook her accomplishments. She was, after all, one of those girls that could hang with the guys. She fought guys like Triple H, Billy Gunn, Mankind, The Rock etc - something that no other woman had done before her. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, maybe she wasn't "best" IC Champion, but she was definitely a memorable one.

Of course I despise her as of late because of her media-whorish antic, but I guess that's another thread.