Greatest Center Fielder of all time?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alrigt it's now time to vote for the greatest center fielder of all time according to General Forum. There's a few selections that people can go with, so hopefully this will be more competetive then the other ones.

Please explain your answer.

Unstoppable

Registered Member
There are a lot to choose from, but i gotta go with Willie Mays on this one, a great fielder and hitter, he's a great guy to admire, the over the shoulder, back turned catch is one of the most memorable plays in MLB history

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I would have to say Kenny Lofton. He makes amazing catches and I seen him jump on the wall to rob people of homeruns. He is also good with base running.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would have to give it to Ty Cobb, I know that Mays hit more home runs then Cobb, but I just believe if you compare both of there overall games then Cobb gets the nod. You also have to remember that Cobb played in the Dead Ball ERA, which homes runs weren't a big thing. Willie Mays is a close second though.

salsanchezfan

Registered Member
I'd say a tie between Willie Mays and Ty Cobb.

Cobb was an master at centerfield. A former pitcher, the man had an absolute GUN for an arm, he of course, had that blinding speed, and had a great, great glove. He could chase anything down and made the toughest plays look easy. At the plate, he was a pure hitter. He would choke up on his bat, and lash line drives to any part of the ballpark. The man rarely ever struck out, had great seed on the bases, and was extremely smart. He could have hit 900 home runs if he felt like it, but he openly felt that wasn't how the game of baseball was supposed to be played. He preferred the hit and run, line drives off the wall, steal bases, and evetually score. To prove his point, he intentionally swung for the fences in a two game series and hit 5 home runs in I believe 8 at bats. He had pop, but like I said, never felt the need to use it.

Mays could do it all. Great power, blinding speed, excellent defender, a Howitzer of a throwing arm, you name it. These are my top two faves.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright guys, we need one more move to keep this thing rolling. I am sure another member as an opinion on this?

Wade8813

Registered Member
Sorry - I must have missed seeing this thread.

I have a hard time choosing between Cobb, Mantle, Mays, and Speaker. I think I'd rank them in that order.

DiMaggio is definitely in 5th place, and a step down from those top 4.

Cool Papa Bell deserves a mention, but I can't even try to rank him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Congratulations to Tyrus Cobb for winning the greatest centerfielder position according to General Forums, now we have one more position to filled, and thats the greatest Left Fielder of all time.

Unstoppable

Registered Member
Cobb is definitely deserving, the best pure hitting player in baseball history IMO, i just have a ton of respect for Mays and his defense which is why i voted for him, Cobb could see the ball so well tho, like i said one of the best hitters of all time, the guy truly was amazing, as far as hitting the ball he's a tick above Ted Williams and thats saying something as im a die hard sox fan