Great place names

kitchendame

Registered Member
I was just in another thread and one of the posters mentioned where they were from, and it was just the greatest name. I love really unusual place names, and often wish I knew why they were called that.

Do you know any place names? Extra bragging rights if you know the origin of the name and bonus bragging rights if you live there.

The first name that comes to mind for me is Tuktoyuktuk. Never been there, waaaay out of the way, but I love saying it: tuk-toy-YUK-tuk.

I'm afraid I don't know the origin of any of these places, but they exist today and are rather strange.

*Chorlton-cum-Hardy (Near Manchester)
*Twatt - There are two of these villages, in the Scottish isles of Orkney and Shetland.
*Cocking - A place in West Sussex
*Westwood Ho! - The only place in the UK with an exclamation mark in its name.
*Lee - Numerous places called this, including a little village/hamlet in Hampshire, of which I had my photograph taken next to the signpost for it, because it's also my name. Hence I found it amusing.
*Spaxton - Just sounds funny.
*Jack's Bush - This is basically just a hill.
*Budleigh Salterton - A Devon seaside village, I just find the name very posh and regal somehow.
There you go. Some great place names.

kitchendame

Registered Member
I'm afraid I don't know the origin of any of these places, but they exist today and are rather strange.

*Chorlton-cum-Hardy (Near Manchester)
*Twatt - There are two of these villages, in the Scottish isles of Orkney and Shetland.
*Cocking - A place in West Sussex
*Westwood Ho! - The only place in the UK with an exclamation mark in its name.
*Lee - Numerous places called this, including a little village/hamlet in Hampshire, of which I had my photograph taken next to the signpost for it, because it's also my name. Hence I found it amusing.
*Spaxton - Just sounds funny.
*Jack's Bush - This is basically just a hill.
*Budleigh Salterton - A Devon seaside village, I just find the name very posh and regal somehow.
There you go. Some great place names.
I love Westward Ho! What a great place name. It's a must-visit on my list if I ever go to the UK. Thanks for some great names.

Sorry, I spelt it wrong.

It's Westward Ho! -- not Westwood... It's in Devon, coastal town. Probably has some fishing/maritime history there. Other than that I don't know. Love the name though.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
there's a street in Ann Arbor called Hiscock. They had to put all the street name signs up high on a light pole because people kept stealing them. True story.