• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Great article on TNA

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is a long piece on Grantland today about TNA, basically giving an overview of the company's current plight and past success. While it's a little generic in some points, it does get into some specifics I hadn't seen before about the tension between Jarrett and Dixie Carter, and it's a good read overall: http://grantland.com/features/tna-profe ... rrett-wwe/

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Great article. I wish Dixie could have given more insight onto the Angle/Jarrett situation from a few years ago and I wish Bischoff could've commented on the current state of TNA. But otherwise, it was still a great read.

I heard about the article earlier today but just finished reading it. Very interesting read to say the least. By the tone of this article, while the author seems a little skeptical about it, it seems like Dixie Carter truly believes she can turn things around for TNA. She admits she made mistakes but at the same time, she defends making those questionable choices in the first place by putting our business experience over everything else. I feel like Dixie doesn't quite understand that pro wrestling doesn't work EXACTLY like a business venture. In wrestling, your life or death depends on the success and appeal you have with the audience. Clearly, TNA made some very questionable moves in that regard when Hogan & Bischoff took over, replacing the homegrown talents with Hogan's friends and nostalgia acts. In the end, it was the most disastrous thing TNA has ever done, combined with the recent Russo scandal that probably has cost TNA their TV deal with Spike.

I honestly wish I could share Dixie Carter's confidence over the TV deal and everything but with no booking dates past this Friday and with no shows to air after Bound For Glory, Spike won't be enticed to keep them, even if Impact's the biggest draw of the network. Well...I'll admit that Spike isn't worried on going on re-runs (which constitutes like what...85% of Spike programming every week?) but still, I don't like that at all.

All I want is to be able to watch Impact Wrestling on my TV every week in 2015, hopefully on Spike. I don't have any of the rumored networks interested in having TNA programming and I don't want to go back to watching it in French with 2 guys that rather put themselves and their corny jokes over than the product and most importantly, being 1 month late in storylines.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
A very good article, if Dixie can realize she needs to keep the reigns turned over to those who know how to run wrestling and to stay off TV as an on air character (she's horrible on the mic and generates go away heat) then maybe it could work but they need a new TV deal asap

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I actually liked TNA in 2010 once Bischoff and Hogan entered the picture. It was the Nasty Boys and those honkies that ruined it for me. Once Ken Anderson got legit hurt, it was a shibit iof a shitshow for a ibt with really sucked but otherwise it was fine. TNA 2011 wasn't very tgood but TNA in the latter half of 2012 was good until Bound For Glory 2012. After that it sort of sucked. I really wish I'd been a TNA fan in 2005-2006, cause those seem like they were the days.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
BJBirdy said:
I actually liked TNA in 2010 once Bischoff and Hogan entered the picture. It was the Nasty Boys and those honkies that ruined it for me. Once Ken Anderson got legit hurt, it was a shibit iof a shitshow for a ibt with really sucked but otherwise it was fine. TNA 2011 wasn't very tgood but TNA in the latter half of 2012 was good until Bound For Glory 2012. After that it sort of sucked. I really wish I'd been a TNA fan in 2005-2006, cause those seem like they were the days.
Well, since I was drunk when I posted this, let me translate this:

"I liked TNA in 2010 once Bischoff and Hogan arrived because it felt like I was watching Monday Nitro again, but when they brought old guys like the Nasty Boys in it sort of ruined it for me because I felt old guys like that had zero business receiving title shots at this point. When TNA was forced to call a bit of an audible when Ken Anderson suffered a legit concussion in the fall of 2010, it seemed like a little bit of a shitshow. Combined with the failed return of the Main Event Mafia (which personally, I would've loved a Main Event Mafia vs. Immortal/Fortune feud), TNA in 2011 sort of sucked for me until Austin Aries showed up. I felt that TNA in 2012 was very good, and actually better than the WWE, until Devon was revealed as the first member of the Aces and 8's. Until that point, I felt like I had to watch Impact to try to figure out who was behind the masks in the Aces and 8's, but after that reveal it went downhill quickly."

The thing with Aces & Eights is that there was such a difference of talent level within the group that if you took Team 3D out of the equation, other than Mr. Anderson joining midway in the storyline, it pretty much was the JOB Squad of TNA. Releasing DOC was a huge mistake in my book as I thought he fitted GREAT in the group and I could've totally pictured a DOC & Knux tag team going after the TNA World Tag Team Titles while Bully was the World Heavyweight Champion. But they totally blew it, instead focusing too much on Bully Ray tricking the Hogans into getting the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
EdgeHead said:
The thing with Aces & Eights is that there was such a difference of talent level within the group that if you took Team 3D out of the equation, other than Mr. Anderson joining midway in the storyline, it pretty much was the JOB Squad of TNA. Releasing DOC was a huge mistake in my book as I thought he fitted GREAT in the group and I could've totally pictured a DOC & Knux tag team going after the TNA World Tag Team Titles while Bully was the World Heavyweight Champion. But they totally blew it, instead focusing too much on Bully Ray tricking the Hogans into getting the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.
Exactly. It was probably a better idea to keep the masks on the Aces and 8's guys to be honest, because then there would have always been that mystique about who was under them. Once they started to unmask them, it just turned out to be a bunch of jobbers and a bunch of young guys who wanted their push (like Bischoff and Brisco), which made it just another "young vs. old" storyline.