• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Graphic advertisements

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on graphic ads that show serious injury and even death? Are they appropriate or should we minimise them down but somehow find another way to make the viewers aware of the complications?

Victorian Government has been creating TAC (Transport Accident Commission) ads for years now and each year, their ads get more graphic.

What are your thoughts on the following ads? Warning, very graphic content.

[youtube]n4X2lbxc5O4[/youtube]
[youtube]HT666XwJR2s[/youtube]

You can discuss the graphic images of smoking ads and so on.

Impact

V.I.P.
I don't think they're too graphic assuming they don't show them at times kids are going to be watching cartoons or whatever. I mean, look at what they show on the actual tv shows in terms of violence. If they went from that, to adverts that were less graphic than above, I doubt you'd even notice them. With something as serious as what they are trying to make people aware of, I think a bit of a shock factor is needed. Especially when you think about how long they have been trying to make people aware of these things to no effect. Besides, the outcome can be a lot gorier than anything shown in those ads.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I don't think they're too graphic assuming they don't show them at times kids are going to be watching cartoons or whatever. I mean, look at what they show on the actual tv shows in terms of violence. If they went from that, to adverts that were less graphic than above, I doubt you'd even notice them. With something as serious as what they are trying to make people aware of, I think a bit of a shock factor is needed. Especially when you think about how long they have been trying to make people aware of these things to no effect. Besides, the outcome can be a lot gorier than anything shown in those ads.
You'd be surprised that kids watch more than cartoons during the day.

Do agree with you on the point where you said that it is more gory that it appears.

What are ways that New Zealand or even UK is making people aware of the consequences? Do you get ads like this?

Impact

V.I.P.
For NZ, they go with a more humorous approach but there are some slightly gory ones out there. They seem to more target having a sober driver and making that person seem like a 'legend'.

I think the UK has a similar one to do with speed as the motorbike one, so there are similar approaches between countries.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Haha I actually love those ads for a different reason. The visual effects of the car/bike crashes etc are actually done by my favourite visual effects company in Australia. I always love seeing their work, even if it is something like this, it's flawless.

As for graphic ads in general, I like them. I think they are needed, especially all those gory gross ones about smoking. Kids can handle it, we shouldn't hide kids from the truth. And if they see ads like this when they are young it might stop them wanting to smoke/speed/ do drugs etc when they are older. I sure as hell don't want to smoke after seeing half those gross anti-smoking ads out there.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think these graphic ads are helpful at getting people to stop and think before acting. It needs to reflect the truth though and just not made up for scare tactics. If its made up people and kids will figure that out and think the rest is a lie too.