Grand jury report describes a 'ring of predatory priests' in Pittsburgh in the 1970s

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well, to be fair, there is a big history of anti Catholic bigotry in the United States, and it still exists to some extent today. We hear this all the time when it comes to the Catholic Church, but hardly any other times when it comes to other denominations or organizations.

Protestant churches deal with the problem

Protestant Churches Grapple With Growing Sexual Abuse Crisis

Evangelicals

Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic, Says Billy Graham's Grandson Boz Tchividijian | HuffPost

Schools

Forgotten Study: Abuse in School 100 Times Worse than by Priests

It's just more newsworthy when it's the Catholic Church. I'm not defending them, mind you. I even wrote a long post about my feelings towards the Church, I'm just addressing how there is a lot of anti-Catholic bigotry. People associate the KKK as hating blacks, and they did, they also hated the Catholic Church, and spewed their hatred and committed atrocities against Catholics also. Some of that still lives today, and we see it in how the news selectively chooses what stories to run and what stories not to run.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
These people will use whatever path they can to feed their sickness. I've seen it locally in a non Catholic church and the church decided to cover it up rather than deal with it.
Personally, I know my kids youth leaders well and they never go out of town with the youth unless my wife or I are on the trip. I also go to a church that has a policy of no leaders are ever alone with a woman or anyone under 25.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
i don't know if they don't believe or they think they are so important to God's work they can ignore God's laws. Jesus dealt with a lot of the same attitudes. So much that they eventually killed him.
The Pope is doing such a horrible job with this I don't think he will be Pope much longer.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
i don't know if they don't believe or they think they are so important to God's work they can ignore God's laws. Jesus dealt with a lot of the same attitudes. So much that they eventually killed him.
The Pope is doing such a horrible job with this I don't think he will be Pope much longer.
What really bothered me was a Homily he gave the other day, about Satan "the great accuser". You all have been exposed as covering up major crimes. Maybe you should be concentrating on your own sins.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What really bothered me was a Homily he gave the other day, about Satan "the great accuser". You all have been exposed as covering up major crimes. Maybe you should be concentrating on your own sins.
How do you think the Pope should have handled it? I’m really curious to hear your thoughts on this. We may not agree politically, but I know how both of you feel about religion.

shoulda never covered up for the pedo rape murderers

edit-- tbh he shoulda kicked em all out then let the worlds legal systems deal w them

also

i wonder
if he didnt have a hand in any wickedness of such kind? eh?
wonder