Grand jury report describes a 'ring of predatory priests' in Pittsburgh in the 1970s

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Grand jury report describes a 'ring of predatory priests' in Pittsburgh in the 1970s

Redacted grand jury report on sexual abuse in Pa. dioceses is released

These Pittsburgh diocese priests were named as having been involved in abuse

Grand jury report: Sexually abusive priests were protected in the Greensburg Diocese

Grand jury report criticizes aspects of Cardinal Wuerl's tenure as Pittsburgh bishop

Dozens of pages shielded from public in grand jury report on sexual abuse in Pa. dioceses

This made me queasy.

They also marked their victims, the grand jury said, by giving their favorite boys gold cross necklaces to wear.

"The grand jury observed that these crosses served another purpose beyond the grooming of the victims: They were a visible designation that these children were victims of sexual abuse,” the report said. “They were a signal to other predators that the children had been desensitized to sexual abuse and were optimal targets for further victimization."
Makes me sick.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I hope they're not wondering anymore why no one goes to church nowadays. Considering how poorly (and rightfully so) we think of those priests.

Pieces of human sewage. That's what they are.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They put the church, their money, the priests above the welfare of the children. I'm sure it was the first two they were worried about the most. The welfare of the child should have came first. Moral of this story is be careful who you trust with your children.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Catholic Church is still trying to fight it, which is ludicrous. Some of the names were still redacted, a couple bishops have spun this as occurring decades ago (which is not true), and even more insanity.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have never thought about leaving the Catholic Church before. While allegations in the past have been really bad, they are the act of human beings. They have no effect on the faith itself. The faith is still the faith, regardless of how some bad people have acted. How does what some priests and some bishops, or even the Vatican have done or covered up change what I get out of Mass? It does not.

Lately, I have felt disconnected from the Church. The reasons are, and I mean no disrespect towards any Non-Catholic Christian, slowly the Mass has changed. There is more singing, there is more clapping, there is more music in general. Vatican II and The Novus Ordo have changed a lot. While I am not old enough to have practiced before the Novus Ordo, I served as an altar boy a long time ago with a priest who was very traditional, and still practiced the old Latin Mass. When he left and my parish changed, I had to learn to deal with the Eucharist in the hand, Eucharistic ministers, to this day I still shudder anytime I see a lay person giving the host and touching the chalice. It makes me cringe.

I feel different now. Stories of more and more coverups like this are having an effect on me and my Catholic faith. I guess, really on the Church itself and those running it. I guess my feelings towards how the Mass has changed is making these kinds of allegations a bigger effect on me in regards to the Church itself. I'm on some pages on Facebook that are about old, Latin Mass, where they dislike the new Mass and the Novus Ordo. They dislike Pope Francis. They say things like "the devil has taken over the Church. It is no longer Catholic". I used to think they were just very old school nuts. I'm starting to agree with them.