Grammar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Easily-Amused, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

In school, most people hate grammar lessons. Its just an annoying thing to check on another essay, one more thing for which a teacher can grade you down... but in real life, how important is grammar?

I love words, and I love playing with language to see how I can make what I say sound pretty. To me, grammar is very important so that I can be sure that I am communicating my point clearly.
    However, most people think I am just being picky when I take the extra step to ensure that I don't end in a preposition. For example, "what are you talking about?" should actually be "about what are you speaking?"
    I don't actually say that in real life, though. I actually say "what are you talking about?" but I cringe while doing so.

The basic question: when and where do you think proper grammar is appropriate/ necessary? do you take the extra step to ensure that you are using proper grammar? am i just being anal-retentive? [[ does that have a hyphen? ]]

Jeanie and Blueyes like this.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Well, I haven't had a real grammar lesson since the 9th grade, and I haven't been taught anything new since the 8th grade. I learned a lot of grammar through foreign language, which I don't take anymore...:(

I think it's necessary on places like forums, where you are communicating with people who aren't used to your writing style. Obviously letters to adults need proper grammar, but I think it's only needed to make sense, not to be technically correct all the time.

EA, at least you aren't a grammar Nazi (right?). I hate it when people correct grammar, especially in a matter-of-fact way. There are tons of common idioms out there and saying everything correctly would just be very awkward.

Easily-Amused and Blueyes like this.
  3. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

I don't correct grammar, but i do get INSANELY annoyed when people mix up there-they're-their, your-you're, and to-too-two. i dont correct people, i just cringe.

Blueyes likes this.
  4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah, the basic ones like it's and its can make things hard to understand, but if some don't affect the meaning of the sentence, then I don't think it matters. I'm sure there's always an error in a seemingly flawless post.

5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I have trouble using grammer properly and only because I learned two language simultainiously as a child, so I always mix both the languages' grammers in my sentences and I'm never certain if I'm thinking in Hebrew and talking/typing in English or vis versa.

Blueyes likes this.
  6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I try to use correct grammar as much as possible. Their are days when I have trouble with some things but mostly it's pretty simple.

You could say I'm a grammar nazi, two. But only on one little thing... You've done well, not good. Well, damn it.

Blueyes and Easily-Amused like this.
  7. Cookies

Cookies Registered Member

I try to use proper grammar as much as possible. I find it to be very annoying to read something constantly that has many mistakes and spelling errors.

Do joo liek nachoz? = :(

Do you like nachos? = :D

8. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

I dont think its ever necessary becuse if I ever end up saying to someone "About what are you speaking", it would be an epic fail in the being myself department. I just dont do it...I guess my view would be that language is for communication and as long as people dont struggle to understand you, its fine.
    ------
    Grammar Nazi=Best user name ever?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
    Blueyes and Easily-Amused like this.
  9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

French grammar is way more complicated then english grammer thats for sure. You guys have it easy compared to french people when it comes to grammar.

When I speak I try to use proper grammar, as you probably notice though by my posting is that I'm not the best at it. I try to improve everyday and posting on forums as helped a lot.

I hate it when people correct my grammar, in my opinion it's a slap in the face.

Jeanie and Easily-Amused like this.
  10. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

Yeah, on this old forum I used to go on, if you forgot a comma or an apostrophe they would correct it.

Blueyes likes this.