• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Grammar Police are jerks, scientists find

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Scientists have found that people who constantly get bothered by grammatical errors online have "less agreeable" personalities than those who just let them slide.
People who constantly point out grammar mistakes are pretty much jerks, scientists find

According to a bunch of fancy linguists, people who are more sensitive to written typos and grammatical errors are indeed the kinds of Type A assholes everyone already suspects them to be.
http://gizmodo.com/study-people-who-point-out-typos-are-jerks-1767969516

I don't harass people about their spelling or grammar, really don't care that much as long as I can understand what they are talking about. Now if they post a super long paragraph I might say something about that but only if its really long. I hope this doesn't make me an asshole or a troll. I do try to be nice about it, well usually, I think I'm mostly agreeable, maybe leaning towards less agreeable. Ha ha, probably just wouldn't read it.

What about you? Where do you think you would fall?

15 Truths About Online Trolls

Konshentz

Konshentz
I am absolutely a jerk then. I hate spelling mistakes. If English is their first language, I will definitely call them out on it a majority of the time. 99% of the time, if I see one that I've made, I make sure to edit or delete it. I can't just leave it there. Even in texts. Oh and people that struggle with there/their/they're are the worst. Haha.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I do it for comedic effect. Especially when people make them in the middle of furious argument. Sometimes people just need a break, and there's nothing wrong with poking fun at spelling. Better than actual problems, which most of the time you don't even know people have.

(edit: *goes right over to Republican Primaries to see what's up*)

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I am absolutely a jerk then. I hate spelling mistakes. If English is their first language, I will definitely call them out on it a majority of the time. 99% of the time, if I see one that I've made, I make sure to edit or delete it. I can't just leave it there. Even in texts. Oh and people that struggle with there/their/they're are the worst. Haha.
Don't be so rediculous.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its awful to jump on someone over a little grammar or spelling mistake.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
More than spelling mistakes is meaning mistakes. When words have different meanings and someone uses the wrong one entirely, that's kind of annoying and worth correcting because it's like "Did you go to school?" So, not saying THAT instead is actually the good thing there. Might as well say what's intended. And on rare occasion, I learn words that I didn't even know existed, so it goes both ways.

Actual SPELLING on the other hand is relatively ignoreable so long as it's not hard to look at or someone speaks another language or something (OR it can make for a good joke, which is always an exception).

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just don't see what the big deal is if their grammar isn't great or spelling as long as I can understand what they are talking about. Making fun of someone is never a good joke. Really just shows what a jerk the person doing it is.

danwiz

Registered Member
I'm a jerk then. It really annoys me when people do not know the difference between their/there/they're and you/your/you're and lightening/lightning and stationery/stationary and past/passed and more. Now, in an e-mail from a friend I'll try to correct them in a joking manner, but if I'm reading a book and find typos, misused words and the like then it really pisses me off, I don't want to pay good money to read somebody's typos. As far as punctuation, well, I'm not so good at commas myself, and I have never really understood when to say member's vs. members', so I guess that I probably don't even notice those mistakes.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I just don't see what the big deal is if their grammar isn't great or spelling as long as I can understand what they are talking about. Making fun of someone is never a good joke. Really just shows what a jerk the person doing it is.
Yep. This is pretty much me as well. I won't make fun of people, I just tend to silently judge them. I think I've gotten a bit more tolerant of it over the past few months because pretty much everyone I know - my mum, brothers best friend and boyfriend all tend to make a horrendous amount of typos when they text me, especially over the phone. I blame predictive text.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Yep. This is pretty much me as well. I won't make fun of people, I just tend to silently judge them. I think I've gotten a bit more tolerant of it over the past few months because pretty much everyone I know - my mum, brothers best friend and boyfriend all tend to make a horrendous amount of typos when they text me, especially over the phone. I blame predictive text.
This is me. I'm not going to say anything but it does show an annoying level of ignorance. I'm cool with what's obviously a phone typo. It's the basic rule stuff that every 5th grader knows that bothers me.