• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Govt: No calls for Social Security increase in 2011

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Govt: No call for Social Security increase in 2011 - Yahoo! News

As if things couldn't get worse.

It would mark only the second year without an increase since automatic adjustments for inflation were adopted in 1975. The first year was this year.
"If you're the ruling party, this is not the sort of thing you want to have happening two weeks before an election," said Andrew Biggs, a former deputy commissioner at the [COLOR=#366388! important][COLOR=#366388! important]Social [COLOR=#366388! important]Security [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388! important]Administration[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and now a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.
Are voters this November going in accepting that the current Democratic Party has failed miserably economically? Do the Republicans have the answers or would be the same?

Thoughts?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't see in that article where this is a partisan issue, other than that the Democrats are in power. How was this decision made?

I do see that Senator Bernie Sanders proposed a second bonus payment for this year but it was blocked by Republicans. So which party is failing our Seniors?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think the first part of your post answers that question, the party in power.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No it doesn't. How was this decision made?

Also, both the President and Senator Sanders tried to get more money for those receiving Social Security, so how is it that Democrats have failed? Why did the Republicans kill that proposal?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Because 12 Democrats joined the Republicans in blocking it. They don't need the Republicans to pass it.

I'm not giving the Republicans a pass here, but the Democrats ARE in power. And if they're going to pay money towards anything I think this is a more important issue than money for tatoo removals, for example.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Here is a fun fact: Social Security was not intended to be the sole source of income for the elderly, it was designed to supplement individual's retirement savings.

The money taken from taxpayers under the guise of social security has been used as a slush fund by congress and spent elsewhere. The system is going broke and will be insolvent before most of us will be able to collect on the promise that was used as justification to levy that tax upon us.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well, but it was sold as a retirement plan for the elderly and it has been anything but.

I hate social security and I agree with you, it has been used as a slush fund. We either need to do it the right way or get rid of it. The way it's used now to me is worse than what the Enron guys did to their investors (except these clowns will never be prosecuted for their malfeasance).