Government not allowing banks to repay bailout money?

Wade8813

Registered Member
Geithner Hints at High Bar In Letting Banks Repay Aid

But the banks say federal bailout money, which requires firms to restrict executive pay and submit to other limits, now carries a stigma. Several of the firms, such as J.P. Morgan Chase and Goldman Sachs, have been lobbying the government to be released from the bailout and have taken steps to repay the money.

Geithner said his primary responsibility is to consider the well-being of the entire financial system, rather than the health of individual companies. The federal government can reject requests from banks that want to repay the money.
Does that make ANY sense to anybody? Because it makes no sense to me.

It takes loan sharking to a whole new level when not only do they get to control you, they don't even let you pay them back...
------
I just read an article in the Seattle Times, apparently Obama is talking about letting Chrysler off the hook in a lot of their loan agreements. Chrysler might only have to pay back ~40 cents for every dollar it owes.

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Economic fascism. Thats what this is. It's the government saying "We own you, and if you don't keep the money we will shut you down and do mean and horrible things to you".

Same thing is happening with the car industry, and soon the energy industry.

It's happening in America... sad no one see's it.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Economic fascism. Thats what this is. It's the government saying "We own you, and if you don't keep the money we will shut you down and do mean and horrible things to you".

Same thing is happening with the car industry, and soon the energy industry.

It's happening in America... sad no one see's it.
The feds are making Chrysler close 1/4 of their dealerships. Car companies do not lose money on dealerships. Car lot owners take all of the risk and pay the companies for the privilege of selling their cars. The federal government doesn't know what the hell its doing.
If I wasn't living in this time, I would never have believed it. Our government is taking over entire industries and nobody seems to really care? :confused:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The feds are making Chrysler close 1/4 of their dealerships. Car companies do not lose money on dealerships. Car lot owners take all of the risk and pay the companies for the privilege of selling their cars. The federal government doesn't know what the hell its doing.
If I wasn't living in this time, I would never have believed it. Our government is taking over entire industries and nobody seems to really care? :confused:
Which proves the administration couldn't care less about fixing any problems with the economy. They're using the economy as an excuse to expand government intrusion into our lives, much the same as they did during the depression. It's sad to see this country making the same mistakes again and again.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Which proves the administration couldn't care less about fixing any problems with the economy. They're using the economy as an excuse to expand government intrusion into our lives, much the same as they did during the depression. It's sad to see this country making the same mistakes again and again.
If economic stimulus worked, the auto industry would be fine now. As always tho, the government stuck it's weenie in the soup and fucked it up... :rolleyes: