• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Government buildings seized in Ukraine

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
While Ukraine is preparing for the upcoming elections new violence is breaking out in the eastern cities. Government buildings have been seized in Donetsk, Luhansk, and Kharkiv by pro-Russian activists who are demanding referendums.
Pro-Russia protesters seize Ukraine buildings, Kiev blames Putin | Reuters

When the last protests happened in Donetsk the people were only demanding Federalization. Btw Kharkiv is the 2nd largest city in Ukraine.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't be surprised that Putin didn't have something to do with this. Maybe that's why he has all those troops in Crimea just waiting for an opportunity to take the rest of Ukraine.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think Ukraines problems are only starting. Just imagine if the entire country becomes a part of Russia. What will happen to other countries that were formerly part of the USSR?

I think what we are seeing is Putin rebuilding the Soviet Union and he'll be viewed as a hero. The formation of a new USSR could be disastrous for the West. I think if Putin had the power then he'd be actively working to destroy the West, it's not too crazy to say he absolutely hates us.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Your not a kidding he hates us and I think he will go after Ukraine. The other countries that were part of the old Soviet Union had better watch their backs because he will be after them next. That is if going into Ukraine doesn't start a war first. The best thing the former soviet block countries can do is make sure they have a strong military. Putin won't pick on them unless they are weak.

Sometimes I think Gen. Patton was right, we should have kept marching into Russia after WWII but everyone thought he was wrong at the time and were tired of war.

dDave

V.I.P.
Your not a kidding he hates us and I think he will go after Ukraine. The other countries that were part of the old Soviet Union had better watch their backs because he will be after them next. That is if going into Ukraine doesn't start a war first. The best thing the former soviet block countries can do is make sure they have a strong military. Putin won't pick on them unless they are weak.

Sometimes I think Gen. Patton was right, we should have kept marching into Russia after WWII but everyone thought he was wrong at the time and were tired of war.
That would have been a very bloody conflict. Both sides would have lost hundreds of thousands of more troops. Stalin was evil but we did form an alliance with him and we promised not to attack him, our word is our bond. I have mixed feelings about that given the atrocities they committed, they played a major role in helping us win WWII though.

It's not as easy as making sure you have a strong military. Something tells me that Russia won't be deterred by that. They have a such a large country and honestly I think it would be too weak for a country such as Ukraine, Estonia, or even Kazakhstan to try to stand against Russia. They're a growing power in the world.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That would have been a very bloody conflict. Both sides would have lost hundreds of thousands of more troops. Stalin was evil but we did form an alliance with him and we promised not to attack him, our word is our bond. I have mixed feelings about that given the atrocities they committed, they played a major role in helping us win WWII though.

It's not as easy as making sure you have a strong military. Something tells me that Russia won't be deterred by that. They have a such a large country and honestly I think it would be too weak for a country such as Ukraine, Estonia, or even Kazakhstan to try to stand against Russia. They're a growing power in the world.
Your right it would have been bloody and they are a growing power in the world. That is the reason we had better keep our military strong and I would also suggest Europe do the same. Who knows where he would stop. He may be more like Hitler than we would like to think.

Maybe the old soviet block countries should form an alliance among themselves.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The Battle of Berlin made Pattons idea impossible. It was the Red Army that took out Berlin and Europe was seeing the Russians as their savior from Hitler.
The Battle of Berlin, designated the Berlin Strategic Offensive Operation by the Soviet Union, was the final major offensive of the European Theatre of World War II.
Battle of Berlin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I have to retract something I said in another thread. I thought that Crimea was the last land-grab but now I dont know. And you are both right. Theres lots of anti-West and anti-US stuff in Rossiyskaya gazeta and other Russian media sources.

Anyway the protests in all 3 cities were probably planned and supported by Russia and I see "referendum" used a lot. This could be the start of a new civil war in Ukraine and imo it will split. NATO is willing to help but they have been dealing with reduced military budgets. They werent expecting Russian expansionism.

Well I was surprised when Russia annexed Crimea so maybe I shouldnt be surprised by anything else than happens next. =/ I just hope it doesnt start a WW3.

Note - I hadnt read the last 2 posts when I posted this.

Last edited: