Gov. BARKELY?????

Discussion in 'NBA' started by I BALL U FALL, Jul 30, 2006.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2531022
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley has changed his political uniform from red to blue and is talking again about running for governor of Alabama, possibly in 2010.

"Alabama, that's my home. I'm thinking about running for governor; they need the help," Barkley said.

SportsNation
    Would you vote for Charles Barkley if he ran for political office?
    Yes
    No
    His decision was received warmly by Joe Turnham, Alabama's Democratic Party chairman, but with skepticism by a political observer.

"I say welcome Charles Barkley. Charles Barkley has been a Horatio Alger story for many people, not only in sports but in business and broadcasting," Turnham said Wednesday.

Turnham said he plans to contact Barkley and invite him to some events the party has coming up.

Jim Seroka, a political science professor at Auburn University, said the former Auburn basketball star is getting ahead of himself by talking about possibly running without first building a base of support or looking at finances.

"He doesn't have any of the bases necessary to run a statewide campaign," Seroka said Wednesday.

Barkley, a Leeds native, has been talking about running for governor of his home state since he was playing with the NBA's Phoenix Suns. In 1995, he said he was considering running in 1998 as a Republican but that never materialized.

After that, Barkley continued to identify himself as a Republican until recently, when he switched to the Democratic team.

"I was a Republican until they lost their minds," he said earlier this month at a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada.

"Sir Charles" reinforced that Tuesday while speaking to a convention of public school board members in Destin, Fla.

"What I've said is I'm rich like a Republican. But I'm not one," Barkley said in remarks reported by The Birmingham News.

Barkley said his immediate goal is to get his 17-year-old daughter through high school and into college. Then he plans to decide on his future, including whether to run for governor of his home state.

"I really believe I was put on Earth to do more than play basketball and stockpile money," Barkley said. "I really want to help people improve their lives, and what's left is for me to decide how best to do that."

Alabama's last Democratic governor, Don Siegelman, said Barkley has become a role model for many people and "would make an excellent candidate for high office."

Siegelman noted that Barkley has the personal wealth to stage a strong campaign. "He's definitely going to be taken seriously," Siegelman said.

Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh, chairman of the Alabama Republican Party, said Barkley was never involved with the state party when he identified himself as a Republican, and she has no idea whether he's serious when talking about a future race for governor as a Democrat.

"To be governor requires more than a publicity stunt. It requires real leadership," she said.

In Barkley's remarks in Destin, he was not complimentary of Alabama's past leadership.

"If it wasn't for Arkansas and Mississippi, we'd be dead last in everything. I think we can do better," he said.

Barkley told the school board members that poor children don't have a level playing field with wealthier students, because the poor children have to cope with more problems like crime, drugs and teen pregnancy. But he also admonished some black parents and their children.

"There are too many black kids and their parents who do not value a good education," he said. "There are places where a black kid who is a good student and tries to speak correctly, you hear stuff like, 'He's trying to be white.' Well, I say, if that's true, we need more kids trying to be white."

Dont recall seeing this thread in here and looked at the last 2-3 pages.....so ya

BARKLEY MAKES ME LAUGH!

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, sports stars (like Bill Bradley and Jesse Ventura) have enjoyed a lot of political success, but I don't know, Barkley will have trouble in a red state like Alabama.

3. I hope he gets it. He will attract alot of attention being that he is one of the most entertaining people in the Basketball industry.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

He's from Alabama and I think he would do a very good job as the governor in that State. He knows that there's a lot of problems there, and I am sure he can fix a lot of those problems.

5. R.Lewis_52

R.Lewis_52 Guest

If they let a steroids taking body builder like arnold schwarzenegger become governer they should let charles barkley become the governer of alabama.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. baltimore

baltimore Guest

It would be ridicoulos though.
    U know a gov. without any experince i mean arnie's wife is a politician but he still had no cvlue about politics.
    It would be funny to see Barkley as a gov. though he might even help the state a little bit. Other than that he should stop drinking and losing all his money with poker

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Listen like I said guys he was born in Alabama so he went threw everything that everyone is going threw done there right now. This state is in a lot of trouble right now and Charles Barkley going threw those missiries when he was younger will only help him make Alabama a better state.