• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gorilla killed after 4-year-old falls into zoo enclosure

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wish the gorilla didn't have to die but I don't know what else the zoo was suppose to do. It would have been sadder if the child had died. The parents should have been paying attention to their child, I put a lot of the blame on them. The zoo should put up barriers that can't be so easily crossed.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know what the Zoo was supposed to do either and it sucks that it came down to this. The Mother is ultimately at fault for not watching her child and if you watch the video you can see how much the gorilla is tossing the kid around and if they didn't step in I think the boy woulda been in big trouble.

Was there a better way? Maybe shoot the gorilla in a non-life threatening area? I dunno...it sucks either way.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do think it's reasonable to expect that if you can build an enclosure that can keep a gorilla from getting out, it should be made to keep toddlers from getting in.

Twitch

Registered Member
After reading some articles, watching a news report and seeing a bunch of different opinions, I think it is both the parents' and the zoo's fault. Maybe a bit more on the parents.

But, I definitely don't think they made the wrong decision in shooting the gorilla. Of course I don't want it to die, but trying to tranquilize it or shoot in somewhere where it won't die could potentially make it angry.

The stuff about white privilege is laughable. People need something to be angry at nowadays.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I finally read about this - so many gorilla and parenting references on FB lately. They said killing was the only option because the tranquilizers take time to have an effect (during which the gorilla could be more violent)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I kinda wish they had just waited a little longer - and yes I know, that waiting could be the difference between life and death for the child, but I am curious. A human child isn't that different to a baby gorilla, in size/shape etc. They are the same. From the video I saw that Gorilla was being quite gentle with the child before he was shot. And there's been another story of a gorilla who actually carried a child to safety. I've also heard ones of gorilla's holding and caring for baby kittens, sure they could accidentally crush them in an instant, but they don't. I feel like if they just waited a little longer and thought of another way we would have seen that the gorilla actually wouldn't have harmed the child.

But of course who wants to risk a child's life.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I kinda wish they had just waited a little longer - and yes I know, that waiting could be the difference between life and death for the child, but I am curious. A human child isn't that different to a baby gorilla, in size/shape etc. They are the same. From the video I saw that Gorilla was being quite gentle with the child before he was shot. And there's been another story of a gorilla who actually carried a child to safety. I've also heard ones of gorilla's holding and caring for baby kittens, sure they could accidentally crush them in an instant, but they don't. I feel like if they just waited a little longer and thought of another way we would have seen that the gorilla actually wouldn't have harmed the child.

But of course who wants to risk a child's life.
Well, exactly. Who wants that decision on their watch if the kid got killed? I don't blame the zoo for not taking that risk, but I do question why their gorilla exhibit was set up in such a way where a toddler can get in there in the first place.