• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gordie Howe not doing well

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Having grown up a Whalers fan from their WHA days I recall how thrilled I was when the Howe family came to Hartford. In those days the players had an off season softball team they barnstormed the local area playing all-star teams, police and fire dept teams for charity. When they came to my town my friend Mike and I got his brother in law to take us. Not only were we down front along the fence but I was able to talk to many of the players including Gordie. Mike and I ended up in the local weekly paper in a photo with Gordie Howe, I have it in my scrapbook to this day.

I was privileged to have a family friend who was an off ice official for the AHL and WHA in those days, he had also spent some time in the media and had connections and he would take me and his son or get tickets for my dad and I to go to games. Many times after the games we'd meet him and he'd take us down to the locker room. Because of this family friend I met all of those Whalers and many of the great WHA players but it was always my encounters with Gordie that stood out.

Always humble and gracious this is sad to see especially after the loss of his wife Mrs. Hockey, Colleen. I'm just thankful for all those memories he gave me.

Looks like it might not be true. The Howe family apparently denied that he had another stroke.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Gordie is making a remarkable recovery due to some stem cell treatment he got in Mexico from a southern California doctor. His son Murray who is a medical doctor said the recovery has been tremendous, so much so in fact the entire Howe family is in Saskatoon tonight for a ceremony to honor Mr. Hockey. Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Bobby Hull are among those who there to attend the event.

Gordie was one of the first professional athletes I met as a kid and the first to truly connect with me and my friends that he talked to to see him make this type of recovery means a lot.