• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

GOP more extreme, unethical: poll

Tucker

Lion Rampant
In what could be a very bad sign for Republican incumbents next fall, the nation is turning an accusing eye on the party, just as anti-Congress sentiment hits record highs. Those are the results of a new survey by the respected polling organization Pew Research.

Pew said:
The Republican Party is taking more of the blame than the Democrats for a do-nothing Congress. A record-high 50% say that the current Congress has accomplished less than other recent Congresses, and by nearly two-to-one (40% to 23%) more blame Republican leaders than Democratic leaders for this. By wide margins, the GOP is seen as the party that is more extreme in its positions, less willing to work with the other side to get things done, and less honest and ethical in the way it governs. And for the first time in over two years, the Democratic Party has gained the edge as the party better able to manage the federal government.
Frustration with Congress Could Hurt Republican Incumbents - Pew Research Center

I think America is getting it right. Anybody here see a liberal conspiracy or whatnot in these condemning figures, or can they be taken at face value? How should the GOP respond to this trend?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I see this as more of the same - they elect Republicans, who screw it up. Then they elect Democrats, who screw it up. Then they elect Republicans, who screw it up.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
For practically the entire part of my life in which I became aware and somewhat interested/involved with politics, Republicans have always been under fire. Starting with Bush's re-election, it's been pretty crappy for Repubs.

Maybe it's because I haven't been around long enough to experience political shifts, but whenever I hear people criticizing Democrats, it's just not quite in the same manner as Republicans are being criticized.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I think the GOP should respond by maintaining their conviction to do what it takes to turn the Federal Government around. It's a crimp in the pattern that has taken hold for too long through many administrations. Of course it's distasteful and risky to reputation. So what.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Either the poll is bad or people aren't paying attention. The Keystone pipeline is a good example. Congress has agreed to pass it, it will bring thousands of jobs, increase supply of North American oil, the American people and the unions support it. Yet Obama and the radical Democrats block it because they support government sponsored fake energy programs. The GOP needs to get the message out about who is actually standing in the way of job creation and economic reform.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Both parties are filled with unethical and corrupt politicians. The Democratic Party is just better at and has been more successful at convincing their constituents with the bullshit of "it's not us, it's them".

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Either the poll is bad or people aren't paying attention. The Keystone pipeline is a good example. Congress has agreed to pass it, it will bring thousands of jobs, increase supply of North American oil, the American people and the unions support it. Yet Obama and the radical Democrats block it because they support government sponsored fake energy programs. The GOP needs to get the message out about who is actually standing in the way of job creation and economic reform.
The funny thing is Obama says he is for creating more jobs. Yet everything he does is the opposite. This would create a huge boom for the Pennsylvania economy, but I think Obama is still a little sore that Pennsylvanians sent more Republicans then Democrats to Washington last election.

Fearandloathing

Registered Member
Can you support your assertion that Pew Research is "respected" and by whom? The last I saw was that Pew is liberal oriented and pro-Owebama so of course they are going to play his "blame it one the Republicans" game.

Owebama has to have something to run against. He won the nomination by running against the Clintons, and did a rather excellent job of kicking Bill to the curb. He won the election by running against Dubya.

So far his handling of every issue has been "I inherited this mess" even when he has to face such issues as the ill-fated "Cash for Cars" program, which was very successful -- for European and Japanese automakers.

He has cleverly crafted a stalemate in congress by setting up a "super committee" that could not succeed. So now what we are witnessing is the results of his "jobs tour" which was nothing more than a public relations campaign to "blame the republicans".

And his supporters, like Pew, have fallen nicely into lock step.

The United States gets the president they deserve...and if they're believing Owebama, becoming a third rate, bankrupt has been superpower is exactly what they deserve.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Both parties are filled with unethical and corrupt politicians. The Democratic Party is just better at and has been more successful at convincing their constituents with the bullshit of "it's not us, it's them".
How would you support that hypothesis with actual data and not just opinions?

I ask because it's almost a useless claim since a democrat could easily make the same claim about republicans and they'd have just as little evidence. Hence, there is no point in making such a statement. Participating in this kind of dialogue only weakens the political system if you ask me. We worry too much about 'how evil' our opponents are and not enough about how we're going to make this country better for its citizens. Basically, I think the game of politics itself gets far more attention than it should.

More towards the topic at hand, I'm sure we can all pluck polls like this one out of thin air daily so I don't believe their value is very high. Not to mention, with Herman Cain's recent fiasco and Newt Gingrich jumping back into media coverage, I'm sure popular opinion sees republicans as more 'unethical' since sadly, Americans seem to think in generalizations as much as they live by them (one republican must represent all of them, that sort of thinking).

I think this sort of poll just goes to show how Americans have been taught to think. As I briefly got into above, people seem to have this idea that the one represents the many.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Can you support your assertion that Pew Research is "respected" and by whom? The last I saw was that Pew is liberal oriented and pro-Owebama so of course they are going to play his "blame it one the Republicans" game.

Owebama has to have something to run against. He won the nomination by running against the Clintons, and did a rather excellent job of kicking Bill to the curb. He won the election by running against Dubya.

So far his handling of every issue has been "I inherited this mess" even when he has to face such issues as the ill-fated "Cash for Cars" program, which was very successful -- for European and Japanese automakers.

He has cleverly crafted a stalemate in congress by setting up a "super committee" that could not succeed. So now what we are witnessing is the results of his "jobs tour" which was nothing more than a public relations campaign to "blame the republicans".

And his supporters, like Pew, have fallen nicely into lock step.

The United States gets the president they deserve...and if they're believing Owebama, becoming a third rate, bankrupt has been superpower is exactly what they deserve.

First off, welcome to the forums. This is the first post I've come across of yours and it's interesting. ;)

Here's the question I have for you though: arn't both sides guilty of this exact same tactic? "Dubya" blamed half of his first term issues on Clinton, just like Clinton did on Dubya Sr. I may not be the most educated in world politics, but it seems that party lines are hashed out in almost every country and every country is going through this same ignorance.

So why does America specifically deserve to become a "third rate, bankrupt superpower" because they believe in a president or rather the media is portraying one political party worse off than the other?

I don't even see how that makes too much sense honestly.

As far as the OP, see Merc's post change a few words to make it sound less intelligent, attach my name, and you have my response.