• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

GOP Iran letter

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
“This letter is neither advice, nor consent,” The Banter’s Tommy Christopher wrote. “It’s directly addressed to leaders of a foreign government presently involved in talks with the U.S., and it is designed to thwart those talks. Unless the senators were authorized by the president to address Iran’s leaders in this letter, a case can be made that 47 U.S. senators just violated a federal law that carries a prison term of up to three years.”

New York Daily News blasts Cotton, Cruz, McConnell, and Paul over Iran letter: ‘TRAITORS’
First the GOP invites the head of a foreign state to address congress now they send a letter to the leaders of a foreign government trying to undermine a nuclear deal. Both are highly irregular and the latter seems to be illegal. While I don't want to see a nuclear Iran this isn't the way to go about it. Maybe they should be prosecuted for this. If it is illegal I think that should be looked into. I know the GOP would be wanting charges brought against them if the shoe was on the other foot.

About the time I think about voting republican they do something to change my mind. All this crap is a power play at America's expense. If Obama did something impeachable then impeach him.

We need a third choice.

Or maybe this is about giving more arms to Israel. If this deal with Iran fails it would open the way to giving even more arms to Israel.

GOP senator behind Iran letter to meet with defense industry lobbyists

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
At least Iran isn't taking this letter seriously. However congress will have to approve any deal made with Iran. At least I think that is right, correct me if I'm wrong. By sending the letter I doubt the GOP will no matter if it is a good deal. At least not the signers of the letter.

Iran dismisses GOP senators’ nuclear deal warning: We believe it is propaganda

The writers of this letter should have got their facts straight before sending it.

‘Embarrassing’: GOP senators get the Constitution wrong while lecturing Iran about US law

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
First off inviting Bibi to address Congress isn't irregular. Secondly, it's a huge stretch to claim they violated the Logan Act, in my opinion. As members of Congress they have authority we as citizens don't have. Thirdly, I don't see how this letter can lead one to conclude they will not approve of the deal no matter what.

This I do agree with:

“This is a technical point that does not detract from the letter’s message that any administration deal with Iran might not last beyond this presidency… But in a letter purporting to teach a constitutional lesson, the error is embarrassing,” he concluded.
Nevertheless, the president cannot ratify a treaty with Congressional consent. While the letter got it wrong technically on verbiage, it's substance is correct.
------
Nobody considered it irregular when the Democrats invited Mexican president Calderon to address Congress on a law passed by a state, Arizona.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
By sending this letter to me it seems they are already against any deal that might be made. Why they had to send it I don't know. Probably just to undermine the president. If they don't like any deal reached all they have to do is reject it.
------
BTW I didn't like it when they had Calderon address congress. Foreign leaders shouldn't be telling us how we should run our country.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Or maybe it's because the deal is bad? We don't know the specifics, they do. I'm not going to conclude they are trying to undermine the president because 1) I don't know what it entails; 2) I don't trust a government that says Death to America to live up to any deal anyway.
------
And the point isn't about whether they should or not, I personally think we should listen to other countries and let them air their concerns, the point about Calderon was whether it is irregular or not.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I doubt congress knows what the deal is yet since no deal has been reached. At least if we can reach a deal and get inspectors in Iran we can see if they are living up to their end of the bargain. No instead some congressmen take it upon themselves to write a letter telling Iran that any deal may not be honored after Obama is out of office without even knowing what deal may be made. This seems like nothing more than a attempt to undermine Obama which leads me to believe they will reject any deal.

dDave

V.I.P.
I doubt congress knows what the deal is yet since no deal has been reached. At least if we can reach a deal and get inspectors in Iran we can see if they are living up to their end of the bargain. No instead some congressmen take it upon themselves to write a letter telling Iran that any deal may not be honored after Obama is out of office without even knowing what deal may be made. This seems like nothing more than a attempt to undermine Obama which leads me to believe they will reject any deal.
Remember, it's Barack Obama we're talking about here. Do we really expect that the deal is going to be a good one for the American people? I question whether or not he's even on our side at times.

Congress isn't saying that they will kill the deal, they're saying that it's possible. Isn't it fair for Iran to know that? Basically, they're making it clear that Obama is not all powerful.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't have them rejecting any deal anyway. I don't trust them to live up to anything and I don't have a problem with Congress pointing out what the formalities are. It's not undermining the president if you point out the truth.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It wouldn't be seen as undermining the president if they sent him this letter instead of Iran.

dDave

V.I.P.
It wouldn't be seen as undermining the president if they sent him this letter instead of Iran.
The president has had more than enough warnings about the legality of what he does as well as whether or not it's the right decision. He's vowed to work around congress (which he himself has specifically recognized as illegal). The president does not respect congress, especially the Republicans.

How is this undermining the president?