Movies 'Goosebumps' Being Adapted For the Big Screen

Vegito728

Registered Member
I love children's horror films, especially when they end up being s good as MONSTER HOUSE, which is why I have hopes for the first feature film adaptation of Goosebumps, the popular children's book series that spawned more than 50 books. This evening it was announced that Columbia Pictures is planning their first live-action features based on the books, which you can read about inside.

Writing duo Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander are in negotiations to write the live-action big-screen adaptation of the children's horror series "Goosebumps" for Columbia Pictures.

Neal Moritz and his Sony-based Original Film shingle is producing as is Scholastic Entertainment's Deborah Forte.

Karaszewski and Alexander are expected to close their deal this week.

While straight-to-video versions of the R.L. Stine book series have been made, the project will mark the first feature adaptation of the series and could become a franchise for Columbia, which acquired the rights in May.

The "Goosebumps" series -- which comprises more than 50 books that often pay homage to classic sci-fi/horror movies such as "Night of the Living Dead" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" as well as the twist endings of "The Twilight Zone" -- have grossed hundreds of millions for Stine and Scholastic, second only to the "Harry Potter" series. Stine recently published a new 12-book series, "Goosebumps in HorrorLand," and Scholastic plans to launch a video game in the fall.

Moritz has said he likely will cast youngsters for the leads and then include well-known actors in supporting roles, a la the "Potter" films.

Karaszewski and Alexander are best known for their penmanship on "Ed Wood," "Man on the Moon" and "The People vs. Larry Flynt," the latter of which earned them a Golden Globe. Other credits include "1408" and "Ripley's Believe It or Not." The pair are repped by Endeavor.
Source: BD Horror News - 'Goosebumps' Being Adapted For the Big Screen

I loved the goosebump books and show when I was younger.

But after going back and re-watching the goosebump series it wasn't as good as I once thought. And the books, even though I really enjoyed them, ended bad 90% of the time(if not higher that that).

Either way I won't be expecting anything phenomenal. But it's still something I'd check out when it hits DVD.

Last edited:

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
i loved most of the series when I was younger. I have a feeling this will either be really good and creepy, or really bad and cheesy.

Goosebumps! I used to love these books when I was a tadpole. Had some great twists to them IIRC. We had them all in our primary school. Didn't know they'd done a TV series. That said, I can't imagine them, or any film, being as good as the books.

And the books, even though I really enjoyed them, ended bad 90% of the time(if not higher that that).
Come to think of it, I can't remember a single one having a good ending. I remember some seemingly did, until the very last page, when they'd punch your fairytale ending in the face.

Doubt I'll watch it, or even hear of it again but good luck to them! :)

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I suppose it all depends on which book they decide to base it on. It will be weired for a franchise because each film will presumably have a completely different cast.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was a fan of the books as well, but the television series was god awful. There's no way that I'll be seeing this movie, if they decide to make on. I dont see it having a lot of success either.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was a fan of the books as well, but the television series was god awful. There's no way that I'll be seeing this movie, if they decide to make on. I dont see it having a lot of success either.
as a kid i liked the tv shows because it enable me to SEE what was reading for once. but they were kinda bad...id like to think it would be upgraded with the technology we know have

I don't know... I think they should revisit the TV angle and try again. Turn it into a Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits sort of deal that makes it interesting to watch. Turning it into a movie when there are over 50+ books, it'll be hard to pick just one book for one movie. An hour long television show each week with the same direction as the Twilight Zone took.