• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Google's smart contact lens for diabetics.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It may be best known for its interactive Glass specs, but Google today revealed a radical smart contact lens for diabetics.
It analyses their tears, warning them if their glucose levels are low.

Forget Glass, Google reveals the first smart Contact Len | Mail Online
Now this is a innovative idea. I'm sure diabetics would love to get away from pricking their fingers constantly to check glucose levels. I hope they get it perfected soon and get it on the market. I know a diabetic and I'm sure she would much prefer this to the constant testing of her blood the old fashion way.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's no good, it needs to let them know if it spikes too. Both can be dangerous. Maybe they will make some improvement to it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Since the lens is detecting glucose levels in your tears, I imagine it wouldn't be that hard for them to get it to say if they're high as well.
------
Mmm, reading through the article more, it does say that it can read the levels. Its not just for low blood pressure. They eventually want to have it so you can set it to warn you when your levels are outside of certain numbers, so you can have it warn you before your levels get too low or high.

Also, the comments on the article are ridiculous. Talking about how now the government will have a way to blind people. The contact lens has limited space. It's innovative enough that they're able to get the glucose tester in there, let alone a long range receiver lol. People get paranoid easy.

Last edited: