• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Google's no driver car looks for allies

dnno1

Registered Member
I would consider it, but not before it gets approved by my state DMV. I think this would be the biggest hurdle (getting state jurisdictions to approve) since there is a high liability associated with this product ever failing. Furthermore you can not guarantee that all owners will keep their vehicles maintained or will not tamper with the computer.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
I saw the development and the technology used in this cars in many projects already. Google isn't the only one doing this, they're just the most famous. Many teams of scientists are working on similar models.

I'd definetly sit in one of those, just to get a feeling how it is not being in control of a driving vehicle. There is so much technology in and on the car that it's nearly impossible for it to crash, at least into other cars. As far as I understood, the biggest problems were narrow roads or metal bridges and tunnels, because the car can't get a satellite signal from the GPS, which means it's driving kind of blind, just with motion sensors. Narrow roads are dangerous because the car sometimes can't judge the distance from the edge very well, but this problem is being taken care of.

shadowchild

Registered Member

dDave

V.I.P.
As far as fixing the tunnels there simply needs to be an underground antenna system put in place so the car can continue communicating with the satellite even when it's not within line of sight.

There are a lot of potential problems I see here.

1. Computers break all the time
2. The car doesn't know to avoid everything (potholes, undocumented speed bumps, road work, animals on the road [especially deer and other large animals])
3. Traffic laws are changing all the time at random in different states, it would all have to be specifically programmed and registered into a computer system.
4. There would need to be a way to manually control a car
5. Computers lack judgment.

There are just a lot of kinks to work out in these things, that's not to say that I wouldn't relish the opportunity to ride in one.

shadowchild

Registered Member
As far as fixing the tunnels there simply needs to be an underground antenna system put in place so the car can continue communicating with the satellite even when it's not within line of sight.

There are a lot of potential problems I see here.

1. Computers break all the time
2. The car doesn't know to avoid everything (potholes, undocumented speed bumps, road work, animals on the road [especially deer and other large animals])
3. Traffic laws are changing all the time at random in different states, it would all have to be specifically programmed and registered into a computer system.
4. There would need to be a way to manually control a car
5. Computers lack judgment.

There are just a lot of kinks to work out in these things, that's not to say that I wouldn't relish the opportunity to ride in one.
That's very true. They would have to invent a new braking system it would seem. Maybe have a motion detector on the front of the car and the closer an unidentified object gets to the car the tighter the breaks clamp down?