• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Google's first page!

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I thought this was neat. I was looking through the wayback machine and I found Google's original look.

Google!

I don't even remember using Google back then but's it is pretty crazy to see how much (and little) they've changed.

dDave

V.I.P.
It's always been a pretty basic white page, I believe that's one of many reasons why they're so successful.

One thing that Google has always done (and still does) is make a whole bunch of themed Google logos to educate people about historic events, various holidays, etc. That's the one downside of using Chrome, I don't have to go to Google to search anymore and because of that I never get to see these custom logos. They always were fun.

In short though, minimalistic is the way to go. People don't want to look at ads, it's ugly and it makes the pages load more slowly.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Wow that's really cool. I always love seeing old internet things like that. It has such a retro look to it.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Oh, that is absolutely horrible. They have came a long, long way! It's pretty cool to see stuff like that though adn then compare it to now almost 20 years later!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know how long I've been using Google as my homepage, but I don't remember it ever looking quite like that.

I've always loved the basic white page with the logo, search box, and no ads. It's so simple and clean looking.

Bliss

Sally Twit
That is so gross and too basic. I never used it when it looked like that.

I like how there are different images on there nowadays, depending on what special day it is.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't ever remember seeing that but now I don't even use google. I stopped using it when I was on dial up because of the images they would put up on holidays. On dial up it took forever to load.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm giving away my age here, but I do actually remember using it when it looked like that. :shifteyes:

One thing that Google has always done (and still does) is make a whole bunch of themed Google logos to educate people about historic events, various holidays, etc. That's the one downside of using Chrome, I don't have to go to Google to search anymore and because of that I never get to see these custom logos. They always were fun.
I use Chrome too and I feel the same as Dave here. I do miss using google and seeing their themes. I try to use google from work at least once a day though, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything fun. I think it's great that google does that.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I remember using google back in 1999. I used to always use alta vista to search things, because that's what the school computers loaded up by default. Then another kid was like 'oh use google, its better!'. So I did, and I loved it. I've been hooked on google ever since, and always have it as my homepage. Since I do google searches quite frequently, I always see the homepage.