• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Google Streetview

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I happen to think it's the coolest thing since... Well... Google Earth. Which was pretty f*ing cool when that came out.

But I've also noticed that there's a great deal of controversy around it, mostly to do with privacy and the fact that a lot of people don't like the idea of having their house photographed.

Does it bother you that Google has photographed half of the planet for anyone and everyone to see?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't understand the controversy over this. If you can see something from the street, then it's not private. So what difference does it make whether people see your house on the internet or while physically driving down your street?

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
It's precisely as Echoes said. However, people might be captured doing something embarrassing. Their privacy must be taken into account. Just because you picked your nose in public, it isn't right if it's going to be permanently on Google's servers for the whole world to see.

And of what use is this service? Sure it's cool and interesting, but it doesn't offer a significant advantage over a map for the common man. Definitely not worth the privacy issues.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Don't they use photos from a certain amount of time ago? I thought they don't use a recent photo because the picture of my front door is quite different than it is now.

If it's a picture from 5 or 6 years ago I think it's more than fine. I haven't heard of people complaining about being on google maps. I think it'd be pretty cool.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Na, doesn't bother me one bit. It makes for some great shots. After all, where else would I be able to see something like this?

Raos

Registered Member
And of what use is this service? Sure it's cool and interesting, but it doesn't offer a significant advantage over a map for the common man.
It lets you see what an area is like in a way a map can't. This is useful for all sorts of reasons. If I am going to someones house and it is in a confusing area I can check it out here first and get a lay of the land and know exactly where I am going. If I am thinking about taking a job in another state and will have to relocate it gives me a way of seeing the area I may move to without the expense of actually going there. There are many many other reasons too.

I think the privacy concerns are way overblown. The cameras are not taking pictures of anything that anyone outside can't already see. I forget the figure, but the amount of times the average person has their image captured each day is staggering. There are security cameras everywhere and 99% of the time you do not realize you are being photographed or taped.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I forget the figure, but the amount of times the average person has their image captured each day is staggering. There are security cameras everywhere and 99% of the time you do not realize you are being photographed or taped.
The ones viewing the security footage are not anyone with access to the internet. Besides, I would definitely not like to be captured for the whole world to see like the picture posted above.

Raos

Registered Member
That is an interesting jump to make. I disagreed with you about the people viewing the security footage not having access to the internet and you take that to mean that you can access security feeds from anywhere?

The people viewing the security tapes are usually sitting behind a desk with a computer. That computer is usually hooked up to the internet.

Have you never seen footage from a security camera? Seriously?