Google is waving goodbye to Google Wave

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Last year Google launched a service that had lots of people excited to try it, called Google Wave. Users everywhere were very eager to get their hands on an invite to the service, since the service was invitation only at the time it launched.
Once the service quickly spread around, users were dumbfounded by what Google Wave actually does. Even though the service had real-time character-by-character typing, drag-n-drop file sharing and webcam
support, Google announced it will be killing Google Wave, as the adoption rate Google had hoped for was not there.
Google was recently seeking a new use for Google Wave, trying to get the healthcare industry to use its services, however, that now seems to not be the case, as the company has announced it will discontinuing its services.
Google said it will be keeping Google Wave on life-support until the end of the year. Central parts of the websites code, including the character-by-character and drag-and-drop will be available as open source
Neowin.net - Google is waving goodbye to Google Wave

I was one person who tried this when it first came out, and it was good but I didn't have a need to use it, seems many people didn't either.

I know other people on here used it, do you still use it or anything like that?

Blueyes

Registered Member
i never bothered with it cuz i had no use....now google voice, however, I use so i don't have to give out my cell # to people I don't want to have it but still get those messages to my cell phone so its 1 phone with 2 numbers.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is great news. When I saw it it looked kind of cool but the first thing I thought was how I didn't want to have to mess with all of that on a regular basis. When I send an email I want it to be simple and to the point. I don't want extra people coming into the email and all that extra security confusion.

Perhaps Google Wave was simply ahead of its time. I think if they want to do it right they will pick the best features from wave and add them to GMail as optional features that can be turned on or off at the users discretion.

Contrary to what they claimed when pushing "Wave", Email is not broken. It really is quite efficient as long as you get a nice spam blocker going for you.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Canceled early? I guess they shouldn't have used Firefly quotes. (props if you get that joke. also, let me know so I can rep you :D)
lol stupid Fox. I'm actually in the process of watching that again with Kayleigh.

I had gone so far as to get one of those invites to try this, but I never actually did. I didn't really see the need for it. All of the extra features it had I wouldn't really use on a daily basis.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
It was sort of aimed at people doing projects. I could see it being useful for things like programming projects, or document projects. However, people are so used to doing things the old way, with flash drives, chat and over the phone etc, that there wasn't a huge demand for something like Google Wave. Certainly wasn't much in it for normal everyday users, that's for sure. An interesting idea though.

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
It was sort of aimed at people doing projects. I could see it being useful for things like programming projects, or document projects. However, people are so used to doing things the old way, with flash drives, chat and over the phone etc, that there wasn't a huge demand for something like Google Wave. Certainly wasn't much in it for normal everyday users, that's for sure. An interesting idea though.
A friend of mine and I were thinking of directing a show, so we used Wave to brainstorm and plot out the show - it was very useful for that... but not for much else.

Last edited: