Google celebrates Tetris anniversary; branded "un-american"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Nevyrmoore, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

As Hybrix posted a while back, Tetris recently reached its 25th anniversary, and in celebration of the fact, they had the Google logo made out of Tetris blocks. Aww, bless.

Apparently, some people are rather pissed off about it, because at roughly the same time it was the 65th anniversary of the Normandy Landings. One of these people is conservative columnist Warner Todd Huston. He stated, "Here we are on June 6, 2009 and, in its inimitable way, Google has decided to memorialize the important occasion by adding an image on its homepage depicting... the computer game Tetris. Yes, it's far more important to Google to celebrate the anniversary of the invention of the video game Tetris than to memorialize D-Day. It just warms the heart, doesn't it?

"I have to say, though, that this is no departure for Google, a firm that finds it nearly impossible to post images celebrating any American holidays or important milestones in American history. So, what we have here is just one more example of Google's essentially anti-American policies."

So choosing not to change their logo for every single American holiday makes them anti-american? Right, er, two questions- does it actually matter what they decide to do, and why would anyone actually give a flying fuck?

oh teh noes, Google didnt put teh american flag up, tehy haet america!

Give me a break...

As for the D-Day thing, I'd be more inclined to celebrate the end of the war myself. D-Day was an great initial victory, but it was only one part of a larger campaign.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009

2. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

Being a company with no association with any world government, I'd say that Google could celebrate only Cambodian holidays and still be in good, moral standings. Google doesn't owe any group any recognition in that manner, I'd say.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I'm now waiting for Google to celebrate every major victory in the Great War and WWII, and remember every tragedy in both (for example, the Battle of the Somme).

4. TimmehD

Today in 65AD [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Jews revolted against Rome, capturing the fortress of Antonia in Jerusalem; I demand Google honor the victorious Jews! [/FONT]

5. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Google did honor the victorious Jews by earning another couple of million dollars.

That that columnist was so pissed off shows just how out of touch he is with society. Google changes it's logo for such a wide variety of holidays, it's impressive. If they had to accommodate every important date in history, they would have to change it midday a bunch. And honestly, whatever it says about society, Tetris holds a far greater hold on the hearts of most people using Google anyway.

ysabel and Nevyrmoore like this.
  6. TimmehD

Hah.

Indeed. This individual is obviously one of the few who is very emotionally attached to this singular event and who is internet, let alone computer, savvy.

7. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

With 6 billion people in the world, you're guaranteed to find someone stupid enough to be offended by just about anything.

Nothing really surprises me anymore... :-/

8. HappyFace

HappyFace Registered Member

BOO!!

But I digress, this is seriously one of the stupidest things Ive heard, I understand that D-Day is a big part of world history but does it matter that one website on the internet doesn't celebrate it with a custom logo? Is it really that anti American?

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I agree the guy went overboard, but it's not completely absurd. D-Day was arguably THE turning point in the war, and thousands of Allied soldiers died fighting what is arguably the most important war in history.

PretzelCorps likes this.
  10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Exactly how I feel about this issue.

The day Google will post a logo with fireworks and joyous images to celebrate 9/11, then yes I would agree it's gone anti-American.