Google buys youtube.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by palefrost, Oct 12, 2006.

1. palefrost

palefrost Registered Member

Interesting purchase this week. google bought out Youtube. I wonder what they have planned for it. Any ideas?

2. hokeshel

hokeshel Registered Member

No, but utube is so successufl int here own right, hopefully, they don;t try to change a good thing and end up screwing it up.

3. Melos

Melos Registered Member

It is already a huge money maker I'm sure. I think Google can't mess it up too much. I think Google is a pretty good company to be included in.

4. palefrost

Cant they get sued for allowing downloaded clips of tv shows that dont have permission on them? Or is it the person who downloaded the item to youtube who is liable. to me it looks like a huge headache of copyright problems.

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal Registered Member

The success of YouTube is just mindboggling to me. I think Google knew how huge it was (and how much bigger it might get) and thus wanted to take over and control it a bit.

I do hope they leave it alone!

Good question, palefrost, about the TV shows that are downloaded. I'd be interested to see who is liable!

6. Penguin

Penguin Registered Member

They have TV shows on youtube? I didn't know that. I DO enjoy watching Weird Al's music videos there, though :lol:

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Nowadays most of the major TV shows are available to watch straight from the network websites. I know that ABC has full Lost episodes as well as a bunch of their other shows available to watch with Quicktime on ABC.com. :)

And it they aren't available then they are probably available for iPod Video download for a few bucks. ;)

8. hokeshel

hokeshel Registered Member

I was reading in another forum that youtube has been losing a lot of money, that is news to me. Poeple were surprised Google would make such a bad buy but, I don't agree. If they ar losing money, they won't be for long. They are gaining popularity daily. I think Google knows what theya re doing.

9. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi all.

I am an avid U Tuber. As long as you reedit your clips and don't claim the images as your own then all is fair on U Tube.

There is a way around copyrighted images. And it's called Fan made!
    You can make a tribute video and you are not in infringement of copyright.
    Now putting the whole show on the Tube is copyright infringement.

But like it states on the tube if the owner doesn't want you to use it they can have your video removed for C infringement and you are issued a warning.

I make all kinds of videos on the Tube, from Dr Who to G.I Joe.

I only got a warning after I tried to post some Ghostrider stuff. Oh well.

As long as they don't change too much I will be playing there too.

The only thing that has changed since the buy out is the ads that they have been running. So far..

Well catch ya on the tube.

BTW : Here is my U Tube link..

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

10. palefrost

Great info night. I love youtube myself i could spend all night watching clips. I was watching russel peters the other night. That man is hilarious!