• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Google Bought YouTube!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow, it's been said that any company interested in buying YouTube would be a moron for even considering it.

Well Google apparently doesn't mind owning a company that is losing more and more money every day, and is being threatened constantly with lawsuits...

Google just bought YouTube today for $1.6 BILLION dollars, slightly less than double what MySpace.com sold for around a year ago. ($900 million)

Google Gobbles Up YouTube for $1.6 BILLION

I find this very interesting. Google obviously isn't stupid by any means, so they must have some solid marketing ideas up their sleeves for the site.

I expect to see a lot more ads in the near future, as well as the addition to Google Video ads before every video that plays. (Google had introduced Google Video Ads to Adsense recently, which allows companies to pay each time their video is viewed)

Goodbye ad-free videos, but hello YouTube not going out of business. :)

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
This is interesting. YouTube is a great concept. If they can implement copyright protection on YouTube, there will probably be a lot of companies that will get involved. Plus all of the advertising that Google will be able to do.

I am pretty sure that just didn't plunk down that much money for nothing. They have something in mind to put down so much money for something like this. Even if is all in stock it is still worth a lot of money. I would love to make a billion dollars in one year.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I wonder if it's going to become "Google Video powered by YouTube". Things like that are pretty common (CdNow being bought by Amazon, for example).

This was a huge risk by Google, and that may be the highest price paid for a web site, ever.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's even more than AskJeeves sold for a few years ago, which was $1.4 Billion if I remember correctly.

I doubt they will change it to Google Video. GV wasn't near as popular as YouTube, and I think they need to be careful how they approach it so that they don't lose members.

Melos

Registered Member
Well, YouTube is horribly popular already, isn't it? I'm sure Google can come up with some idea to make it profitable. Will people muddle through a google video ad to get to see a video of some idiot jumping off a roof or whatever? probably.

hemisync

Registered Member
Sadly I'm sure there would be people out there willing to suffer through an ad to watch something as inane as that Melos ;)

Samm

Actually they are doing minor changes little at a time, its not so bad, the only thing is that content that were there that was copywrited will be removed with a warning.

mamab

Registered Member
I don't go to youtube that often, but when I have gone, I haven't noticed any changes. Any ideas when they're going to start implementing them?

sarahlorrain

I will be interested to see how this pans out. Google is such a HUGE company and hugely popular they are obviously doing something right! I imagine they know what they are doing. ;)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
There are rumors that YouTube will soon offer monetarial incentives to users who's contributions lead to significant traffic for YouTube.

Soon it will be easier than ever for your viral YouTube videos to bring you money. :)

If that rumor is true... I think that would be a somewhat dramatic change, but wouldn't effect most people who use YouTube casually.