• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Google and MySpace Deal

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Starting in October, Google will start to implement itself into MySpace searches, and MySpace will be easier to search from Google.

Basically, Google will be paying MySpace's owners 900 million dollars for the opportunity to advertise all over the site and increase MySpace's search-ability.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8JCFB781.htm?sub=apn_tech_down&chan=tc

Very interesting news indeed.

Perhaps Google is still bitter about Yahoo buying http://del.icio.us/ some time ago. :)

proskier

i despise myspace and really hope that goodle changes this.,.. way to much crap that no one cares about that is no going to be filtered in seachers

down with myspace, it was banned from the hs i went to back in the day

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
MySpace is a good concept, but lately it has really gone down the tube.. I think they can still fix it if they put a lot of money into reorganizing it, but unless they do something they are in for a mass exodus if you ask me.

It wouldn't take much to make a better site with more features, and a better interface that was more user friendly.

fundingfriend

My Space may seem like silliness to many, but it is still a marketing goldmine. People post a lot of nonsense, mostly because it is a social networking site. It is not really about posting great or enlightening information. People are just sharing themselves, but there are lot's of people sharing themselves everyday. My Space will not be going away anytime soon and there is still lot's of money to be made by having a My Space page linked to your main website.

katharina

Registered Member
My Space may seem like silliness to many, but it is still a marketing goldmine. People post a lot of nonsense, mostly because it is a social networking site. It is not really about posting great or enlightening information. People are just sharing themselves, but there are lot's of people sharing themselves everyday. My Space will not be going away anytime soon and there is still lot's of money to be made by having a My Space page linked to your main website.
My company has a myspace site and it's our main form of networking. There are pockets of groups that want nothing to do with marketing themselves as a commodity. There are music artists, writers, new moms, homeschoolers, religions, etc. etc. and if one sticks to the groups that are of interest, it doesn't get out of hand.

That said, one way they could fix it up right away is to stop allowing html and HUGE graphics in the comment sections. We have ours set to not allow that, but it's very annoying to visit a site that has extensive graphics like that. There really should also be some kind of moral decisions because I really don't want to see some of the things I come across accidentally... but I suppose that would be nearly impossible. :(

Melos

Registered Member
I have considered getting into MySpace for just the reasons kathatina mentioned.

Google really seems to be building itself up recently - MySpace deals and now buying youtube.

mamab

Registered Member
From what I've seen, there's nothing much to do with MySpace except for tear it down and start from scratch. IMHO. There's so much trash on there, things that impressionable kids don't need access to.

Prathik

Google and Yahoo are evil. They want to buy all the other profitable small sites.

Google is trying to dominate the web.

Google is trying to take over the internet.

Google is trying to dominate the web.

Google is a very dominant search engine. Some times it behaves like a wares site. I am not against Google in any way, actually I am a fan but sometimes it pisses me off. It is trying to buy all the other small websites and dominate the internet. Now how fair is that.

Yeah, you see Google ain't that bad, just a little arrogarn, if that's the right word. It takes over the other website smartly, but I think it's stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

steverichards

Registered Member
Survival of the fittest remains universally true concept................so does this concept:- big fish eats small fish................