• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Good plan for dealing with unwanted love?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I ran across an interesting blog the other night while hunting for a particular Peanuts comic strip. Most of us will be faced with someone we're not that into declaring their love for us at some point in our lives. Me, I've seen both sides of it. One misguided lonely heart has been following me off and on for the past five years! She found me first on MS and then on FB, where I declined to answer her PM. It felt slightly heelish, but I flat didn't know what to say.

Now, somebody has taken the time to ponder and write down a set of guidelines for handling that kind of situation with an overeager friend or acquaintance. Do you think this is sound advice, or would you employ a different strategy?

Unrequited Love

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
The blog is good and gives some sound advice - if only things were always so black and white though.

It's hard because you may actually adore the person and can't bear to let them down. It is always the best and right option to tell them straight that theres no chance but it certainly isn't easy.

Dabs

Registered Member
Wow, that was nicely written...somebody took some precious time to really express the issue.
I suppose if a person were kind and considerate, the advice I just read would be good..but if one got tired of the constant battles, it would be just as easy to say GTFO.
I have been mean like that before....had a fella who wouldn't leave me be, tried to be nice......not to lead him on..telling him politely, please leave me be.
He came to my house and told me and everyone the only way he was going home was with me, and then if I refused to go, he'd be taking me in a body bag.
No matter how nice you try to be, there is always going to be one somebody that just won't get the message.
Good Luck~

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Obviously honesty is always the best course of action. Not sure I agree with cutting off all contact with the person though, unless you just don't really know each other at all to begin with. If it's an acquaintance, then I think it's that person's responsibility to avoid contact if he or she so desires. If it's a friend, then I think it would be adding insult to injury to sever the friendship.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
Obviously honesty is always the best course of action. Not sure I agree with cutting off all contact with the person though, unless you just don't really know each other at all to begin with. If it's an acquaintance, then I think it's that person's responsibility to avoid contact if he or she so desires. If it's a friend, then I think it would be adding insult to injury to sever the friendship.
perhaps but also maybe thats the nicest thing. I mean it's very dependant on the people but some people can't handle being friends after. They pinpoint EVERY conversation/action to being something to do with that persons prior infatuation. Some people just can't deal with having someone love them and then losing that love (not that they really wanted it anyway they just don't like NOT having it.)

It's all very much to do with the people involved.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I use the coldly brush person off and then feel terrible about it strategy. It seems to be awful every time.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I use the coldly brush person off and then feel terrible about it strategy. It seems to be awful every time.
That only makes them want you more!

I don't think I'd have trouble saying, thanks, but I don't like you that way. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I did say something along the lines of 'Thank you. I'm flattered, but I don't like you like that' before.

I wouldn't have a problem continuing the friendship afterwards. I'm not one to make things awkward. I'd probably be even nicer to that person. :-/

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I have been in this situation before. An older lady fell for me, I mean she was older than my mom and would not let me go. I thought we were just friends, but she thought otherwise. So I stopped responding to her text and phonecalls. It was a painful experience for me because she was a kind and good hearted woman that lost her husband five years back. So after a year of not talking to her, I ran into her the other day. She gave me a big hug and said that she has heard about me and the girl that I was seeing and said congratulations. We hung out once or twice after that and she never pulled a move on me and now we are are really good friends.