Good healthy recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by PentaCube, Mar 12, 2009.

1. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

Hey all, I'm currently trying to slim down to my high school weight. The only problem being every single recipe i see online uses words like "delicious" and "tasty", then you look at the picture and it's a pile of leaves with some nuts on them or something. Anyone know of any really good tasty recipes? Soups? chicken dishes? Anything good!

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you have a steamer or anything of that nature?

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, it's like this:
    [​IMG]
    Most of them come with a white bowl that you can put inside one of the sections (shown in the bottom section), that is for rice. The healthiest kind is either brown or wild rice. Stay away from those that are enriched. Inside the rice tray, you would combine a cup of rice and a cup of water, and any spices that you would want to add. I use Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning on it. I would then put it in the steamer first, before preparing the chicken, because the rice takes probably 10 more minutes to cook.
    I would then get a few chicken breasts...I normally made as many as would fit in there so that I could have left overs. I trimmed the fat off of them, and then seasoned them with McCormick's lemon pepper seasoning. I like to stab the chicken with a fork after seasoning it, that way some of it gets inside the meat. Then you put that in it's on decker station and add it to the bottom. Those steamers have holes in the bottom, and you don't really want the chicken juices dripping onto the rice...or at least I never did. After adding the chicken, I would put the timer on 40-45 minutes.
    There's not much preparation time, but a lot of cooking time for it...but it's very healthy. You can also use it to steam vegetables.
    -----------------------------

Another of my favorite chicken dishes was monterrey chicken. You lightly grill chicken breast with very little basic poultry seasoning. I would do this on my small george forman grill. You then add cooked turkey bacon, slices of monterrey jack cheese on top, and put in the oven (350 degrees) until it's melted. Top with pico de gallo.

3. PentaCube

Awesome, thanks anita. That was EXACTLY the kind of post I was looking for! I'll probably go shop for one of those this weekend.

4. AnitaKnapp

You're very welcome.

Also, what sort of small appliances do you have? Do you have an outdoor grill?

5. PentaCube

No, but I will have one in a few weeks I think. Basically we have a crock pot (spelling?), a toaster, and I just picked up the steamer you suggested, gonna take it for a spin making some sushi tomorrow night with a buddy. Other than that, just the regular stove/oven/microwave.

6. AnitaKnapp

Oh cool. Let me know how the sushi turns out. If it turns out well, you should tell me how you made it.

Chicken shish kabobs are also good. I usually use the Grill Mates Chipotle seasoning on the chicken, then spear it with mushrooms and purple onion (I normally do chicken, onion, mushroom, chicken, onion, chicken, onion, mushroom chicken). I'll probably make those again this weekend. The key to this is always put your veggies on the inside, never leave the veggie on the ends. You should always have a piece of meat on the end, veggies will burn.

I buy whole chicken all the time and cook it in the crock pot with no added seasoning. Most of the time with crock pot cooking, it seems to taste better the simplest way.

7. PentaCube

Oh, that does sound pretty good, I'll be eating people food in no time! :lol: