Good and Evil... again.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by FutureTrackStar, Dec 16, 2009.

1. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

Does it make sense to tell somebody that their opinion about that-which-is-completely-subjective-by-nature is incorrect?

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

It makes perfect sense to tell someone that their views do not follow from shared values, or otherwise that they are an asshole for their values.

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

well...since there's not a standard of correctness on subjective issues, subjectively you can say it's incorrect. objectively you can't call it incorrect.

4. FutureTrackStar

- that didn't answer my question.
    ------
    - Is there any point in telling somebody that you are of the opinion that their opinion is somehow skewed?
    ------
    - Does that even make any sense? Correct and incorrect are entirely objective terms, aren't they?! How is it logical to say, "in my opinion, you are incorrect about your opinion."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You do it all the time. Want me to link you to all your scenario threads?

You're quite fond of telling us we're wrong, pilgrim.

6. FutureTrackStar

- Actually I don't. I tell you that you are wrong about something that is, by nature, absolute.
    ------
    - Besides, that was kind of an ad hominem argument. You didn't answer my question.

7. EllyDicious

when you say "in my opinion" it means "subjectively, you're incorrect".
    that's why we use "in my opinion" because for some things there's no objectiveness.
    of course it makes sense.

what is an opinion? an opinion is a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty. thus it makes perfect sense for the opinion to be subjective therefore i can say what's right to you is wrong to me because we seen in 2 different directions.
    which is the standard that will tell us which of our opinions is right or wrong? - there's no standard. that's why i said : objectively you can't say incorrect. subjectively, you can.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I lol'd.

FYI, good and evil aren't absolutes. Just thought I'd let you know.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

IIt makes sense to tell somebody that their subjective opinion is wrong when they base it on objective information that is wrong (ie. misonformed), or, when it is wrong in reflection to the majority opinion (even though that too remains subjective it is granted consent/clarification by numbers, so it too is not necessrily right).

10. EllyDicious

what you say is true, but [in one of the posts you quoted] he mentioned "by nature" which means, because of the nature some things are absolutely true.
    like the sunrise. it's not a matter of opinions. it's a matter of facts.

while when it comes to opinions, there's relativity.

so he contradicts his posts. he mentions "by nature" and then mentions "opinions".