Gonzalez Headed to the Falcons

Kansas City Chiefs trade Tony Gonzalez to Atlanta Falcons - ESPN

The Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to trade perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons for a second-round pick in the 2010 draft.

Gonzalez had asked the Chiefs for a trade in March if the right deal came along. The only tight end in NFL history selected to 10 Pro Bowls, Gonzalez owns NFL career records at his position with 916 receptions, 10,940 receiving yards, 76 receiving touchdowns and 26 100-yard receiving games.

"On behalf of my family and the Chiefs, I want to thank Tony for his time in Kansas City," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement. "Over the last 12 seasons, Tony has been one of the finest players in Chiefs history, and he will always be remembered as a member of the Chiefs. His play on the field speaks for itself -- he holds almost every major NFL record for tight ends, and he is arguably the best to ever play his position. We wish him the best in Atlanta."

Gonzalez was usually double-teamed last season, in which the Chiefs won only two games, but still caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns. He plans on playing at least one more season and possibly two.

"From an organizational as well as personal standpoint there are mixed emotions," new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said in the team's statement. "I have the highest personal and professional respect for Tony and consider him to be a future Pro Football Hall of Famer."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
This is a great pick-up for the Falcons. This gives Ryan (who played great last year) another great set of hands to throw to. Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez & Matt Ryan could be a dangerous trio.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow! That's a huge pick up for the Falcons, even though Gonzalez is at the tail end of his career he'll still be a good target for Matt Ryan. I think Gonzalez wanted to finish his career with the Chiefs but he also wanted to win a championship, and he believes the Falcons have a great chance to do that.

Well I hate to see it, but he deserves a championship. This is the one year I'll route for Atlanta, TG really deserves a chance. Such a class act.

Mexican

Registered Member
A great addition to the Atlanta Falcons. He'll be an awesome leader for that young offense.

JMG1986

Registered Member
Let me just say this, I'm a Panthers fan and seeing as how the Falcons are in my division this is not good news at all. Gonzo is easily still top 5, probably top 3 TE in the league and with Turner grinding it, Ryan leading it, and Roddy White emerging to be a big time WR this is not good for anyone playing ATL this year.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
One thing no one talks about with Tony is his blocking ability. He hates to do it, but he really is the most complete TE in the league because of it. The Falcons are likely to win the NFC north because of this move.