Nintendo 64 GoldenEye vs. Perfect Dark

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by nman77, Nov 8, 2005.

?

Pitfall v.s Pong

1. Pitfall

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Pong

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. nman77

nman77 Registered Member

Which do you think was better, GoldenEye 007 or Perfect Dark? I'm going to have to say Perfect Dark. The single-player wasn't quite as good as GE, but it was still very solid and the multiplayer was just so deep and the whole game just had so many options that it blew my mind.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

You're right, the edge goes to Goldeneye for singleplayer and to Perfect Dark for multiplayer. PD just had so many more options, better weapon variety, secondary fuctions, simulants, etc. And don't forget about the weapons training/shooting gallery thing. That said, I had a lot more fun playing Goldeneye, going for all the cheats and everything. Better maps, too. And it's James Bond.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Having James Bond in a game doesn't necessarily make a game better than others in it's genre.. EA has proven that time and time again..

However, when it comes to GoldenEye or Perfect Dark, I'd say GoldenEye was better overall. When you think of Rareware FPS games, you think of GoldenEye. It was the classic party game (much like Halo became for last generation's consoles). PD came out too late in N64's lifetime for it to have time to become a classic. Don't get me wrong, I like it almost as much as GoldenEye, but overall GoldenEye was a better game.

Multiplayer vs. Multiplayer, PD wins. GE paved the way for split screen FPS multiplayer games, but it was ahead of it's time, and wasn't able to do as much as newer games could. PD had much better maps and the bots really helped make it a much better overall experience. Once PD came out, I rarely played GE's multiplayer anymore (no pun intended).

Single player vs. Single player, GE wins. It is one of the only games based on a movie that became a household game title. You rarely see that level of gameplay anymore. I loved PD's multiplayer, but GE is really where the objective based FPS was introduced, and is also the reason PD did so well. When you think of GE, you think of memories of a new experience. When you think of PD, you think of more of the same with a new story. That's not a bad thing, but if I'm going to give one of the games credit as the better overall game, it has to be GE.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

In the long run, it's Goldeneye that takes the cake for me. It stands out so much more, even though I loved Perfect Dark too. It just never cought on with everyone like Goldeneye did.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Everybody has heard of GoldenEye, but not everyone has heard of Perfect Dark. There is going to be a lot of explaining that will have to be done with the new wave of PDZ fanboys that is bound to happen soon. Half of them won't know that it's not the original because most gamers don't follow game companies or games they didn't play.

6. nman77

nman77 Registered Member

Yeah and maybe the original PD will become a legendary game. I think that it is actually kind of rare.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Perfect Dark was pretty well known amongst the gaming community. I'm sure most people who are going to buy Xbox 360 will have at least heard of it before. Rare should include the original game as an unlockable in PDZ.

8. RossDude

RossDude Beep

It's a tough choice but I voted for Perfect Dark. Goldeneye was a very innovative game, but Perfect Dark just took it to the next level.
    PD's single player had everything GE's had - stealth, skirmishes, awesome objectives - it's just that PD's ridiculous story was a letdown. PD also had co-op which could be played with another human or several bot allies, counter-op, and the challenges which could be played with 1-4 players. Then there was the Carrington Institute which had all sorts of training. And let's not forget the crazy weapons - Laptop Gun, Slayer, Cloaking Device - awesome stuff that made for awesome gameplay.
    And I don't need to say anything about multiplayer, we all know where PD stands in that realm.

9. perfectdarkness

perfectdarkness New Member

PD for me. to be honest, i aint like goldeneye. the multiplayer was really bad. only way to get a good game is to have a 4 player and nobody liked the 4 way split screen. in PD, we could do a 2 player with a few sims. i think the single player beats GEs also. some people didnt like the aliens, but i thought it was one of the best parts

and then if u got a gameshark, theres so much shit u can do, u can even make ur own levels

10. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

I really dont like shooters, so I will not be able to vote in this poll...

I played Goldeneye as a rental, Never got to play PD

Last shooter I finished, Turok: Dinosaur hunter