• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark?

Which game was better?

• Total voters

dDave

V.I.P.
Well nman's thread on this same topic got all messed up, not sure what happened there, the poll is between pitfall and pong:lol:

Both of these games are top sellers for the Nintendo 64 and both were made by rareware.

So in your opinion which of these games was better.

To be honest I never really got into goldeneye I stopped at control on agent (yes I'm pathetic), for some reason I really found perfect dark to be more of a thriller and to me it seemed to be the much better game, I just had a lot more fun with it. I almost finished the game entirely on all 3 difficulties save those few insane levels on perfect agent.

So which game does everybody else like more?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
To be honest I never really got into goldeneye
Not much of a surprise there. You were what, 4 years old when it came out?

GoldenEye had the superior single player. The story was better, the missions were more fun, and I spent a ton of time trying to get all the cheats. I think I got all but two of them. Perfect Dark's single player mode was mediocre. I don't like the main character. The story was ridiculous. There were some fun missions, but the aliens kind of ruined the game for me. I had no interest in getting any of the cheats.

Perfect Dark's multiplayer was definitely better with all the customization and simulants. GoldenEye's multiplayer was great too though, and I spent countless hours playing with my friends.

Perfect Dark gets a few bonus points for the shooting range.

But I have to give the edge to GoldenEye. It was more of a complete game with great single player and multiplayer.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I agree, Goldeneye got me into first person shooters as well as games made from movies and story driven gameplay.

Perfect dark had a better multiplayer system and more guns to play around with so it was funner to play with friends.

But 007 FTW.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Perfect Dark was better in every way.

Multiplayer (with or without friends)
Single Player
Graphics
Story mode
Enemy AI

PD. No question.

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
I won't argue that Perfect Dark had some nice improvements over Goldeneye. But for me, Goldeneye was perfect, taking into account the graphical limitations on the N64. I loved the large range of weaponry, the replayability with different objectives for each difficulty, the large number of cheats (and how not so easy it is to obtain them), and it's just a fun game to play when you need to unwind.

Obdurate

Registered Member

Single Player
Graphics
Story mode
Enemy AI

PD. No question.
Indeed.

Let's be honest, Goldeneye doesn't hold up anymore. While the single player is pretty fun, the multiplayer is mostly lame now. The only thing it really has is that some of the levels are classics... however, a couple of them made their way to PD.

We've come too far, and I don't expect an old game to match up with the technical improvements made years later, but the thing is, PD is still fun enough that I'd play it. In fact, I did a few months ago. Goldeneye was always bogged down by the lack of bots, but people didn't notice that as much back then.

Goldeneye did what it did and it gets props for that. It was a lot of fun times with friends. Only real complaint I have about PD is the slow down sometimes, but it's really not that bad.

My big thing back then was renting an N64 with Goldeneye and WCW vs NWO: World Tour and just playing it for hours and hours. Or Duke Nukem 64, also a great game that's still fun with friends cuz of the co-op.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I consider GoldenEye 007 to be the best shoot em up game in history. For it's era I don't think there has been anything better. It's one of very few games that I still play from that era.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never liked Perfect Dark to be honest with you, I've always been a fan of Golden Eye. I wasn't very good for the longest time, then my friend showed me a few tricks and now I'm actually great at the game. I wished I played a bit more because its a fantastic game to play. But since I dont have a N64, I cant really play it.

Mason

phawq
Single Player - Goldeneye. Better story, Better Characters, Made sense.
Multiplayer - Perfect Dark. Customisable Gameplay, More Variety, Bot support.

Perfect Dark wins, since I prefer Multiplayer, anyway.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.

Single Player
Graphics
Story mode
Enemy AI

PD. No question.
exactly, a lot of people will say that the single player on Goldeneye was better, but honestly i enjoyed ever single mission in perfect dark while I don't like a lot of the missions in Goldeneye.