• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 Gold cart or normal cart: OoT

dk_rare

Registered Member
When you FIRST got Ocarina, was it on a gold "limited edition" cart or on a standard grey cart? I haven't seen many grey carts in my lifetime, for any Zelda game for that matter, all of mine have been gold. So how about yourself?

I got the gold cart. I reserved the game months before it came out, and it arrived in the mail on Thanksgiving. Then I played it for 6 hours straight. Good times.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I got the gray cart for Ocarina of Time. Gold for Majora's Mask and Zelda II, but I think gold was standard for those.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
I think it was grey. I got 3 copies, and 2 of them were gold, but I think those were the 2nd and 3rd copies I got.

dk_rare

Registered Member
I don't know why, but the grey carts are really hard to come by for me. It could just be that PAL got more golds than greys, who knows.

Has anybody else heard that in all gray OoT carts, when you first defeat Ganondorf, he coughs up green blood instead of red? I have heard that he only coughs up red blood in the gold carts.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have the gray Ocarina of Time, and I just beat it a week or two ago for my Zelda quest and it definitely had red blood. I got it maybe a month or two after the game came out. I'm pretty sure the later versions have green blood though. And they also removed the chanting from the Fire Temple and the crescent symbol thing on the blocks because it offended certain religious groups.

I heard about the changing of the Fire Temple music. It was actually a religious chanting about God so it offended some people. I didn't hear about the crescents though.

Wrecked

Registered Member
i played OoT the first time on my friend's N64 that i borrowed from him [ he left it out my house cause he would always come over to play goldeneye/perfect dark ] and he had the gold version.

i have the gamecube collectors disc though.

dk_rare

Registered Member
I haven't played much of my special edition disc, but it's pretty safe to assume that it has the most recent version of OoT on it. I heard about the chanting also, which goes to show how much detail Nintendo put into the game, little things like that I never would have known about if it was never taken out ^_^