Going Vegetarian for Health

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Kazmarov, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I'm currently in Day 4 of my second vegetarian streak. No fish either; people who say they're vegetarian but eat fish are sleazy conmen. Fish aren't vegetables.

Over the summer at Princeton (government program as part of Junior State of America) the meat was really bad at the cafeteria, so I decided to go vegetarian. During the four weeks I went without meat, I lost about eight to ten pounds with no increase in exercise. My cholesterol plummeted to within normal range, as did my glucose and triglycerides; I had increases in stamina and general well-being; my acne cleared up and I generally looked a lot better.

So I'm doing it again because I've gained some weight and want to finally get to the normal body mass range for my height (which is 164 and under).

Has anyone else ever tried this? It's really pretty easy (nuts and sweets are of course fair game), and all the low-calorie veggies and fruits fill you up so you eat less. It's a good diet to have because you don't have to deal with moderation and splurging.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Are you cutting out dairy as well? Going 100% vegitarian or are you doing a hybrid diet?

And forever or just for a bit?

I wouldn't want to cut out meat personally unless I saw a gym full of huge vegetarians (and by huge I mean muscular). I don't think that's possibly otherwise unless you eat protein bars like no tomorrow.

3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

well if you cut out all meats then you have to get some other source of protein milk (if you didn't cut that out) or maybe nuts lots of nuts or peanut butter.

I don't think that I will ever go vegetarian, I like eating meat way too much to stop eating it now.

4. Kazmarov

Cutting out animal products is vegan. Vegetarians still eat animal products, just not animals themselves.

5. Corona

Corona Registered Member

There are 13 essential amino acids, your body makes 7, it's relatively easy to get the rest from nonmeat sources. Even plant leaves have some.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've thought about going vegetarian for various reasons, but I think I like meat too much to do it. Steak is just so good.

7. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

You don't need to go vegetarian to lose weight. If anything, you'd lose more weight not going on a vegetarian diet, but that's just my opinion.

If you decide to go off it, I could help you out with some sort of meal plan to maximize weight loss.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I eat fish from time to time, otherwise I do not eat meat. It's much easier on the budget too. Meat is expensive.

9. Kazmarov

Meat is high calorie, high fat, and high cholesterol. What kind of statement is that? If you cut out the fattiest food group in a diet, you're going to lose more weight than if you kept it.

Meal plans are too much like living in a prison. I'd rather cut out meat and eat largely whatever I want than be confined to a stringent schedule. Plus it'd probably require packing my own lunch, which would be irritating.

10. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

I can't really see being a vegetarian as being healthy, you're depriving your body of nutrients you really need for another product.

~Shwa

Vegito728 likes this.