Going unarmed

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Sep 10, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

You kid yourself. Chicago saw close to 200 gun related deaths this summer alone. So much for the handgun ban huh?

So Echoes... why should I go unarmed? Can you predict the future? Can you guarantee my safety everywhere I go? I choose to take my business to cities and states that respect my right to defend myself (which currently is 30 or so states) with my three permits to carry. Illinois is not one of those states.

You say not to go into unsafe neighborhoods, I'll give you that. What about malls, how about churches, schools, universities, restaurants that simply serve alcohol (cant drink and carry anyway), can you say with 100% certainty I will be safe in these locations?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Chicago needs to reconsider their gun laws. With unarmed citizens running amok, the criminals clearly have no fear.

I'd like to see some statistics though. I'm willing to support the ban IF statistics can show that it resulted in a dramatic decrease in gun related deaths and crimes. My senses tell me that this is not the case though.

If anything I think Chicago is proof that banning guns only hurts the law abiding citizens. The criminals clearly still carry AND use them.

3. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Here is an interesting article on a study done in Chicago: Restrictions Make Handguns Hard To Get In Some U.S. Cities.

If we put the population of Chicago at 2,500,000, and say that none of those deaths were from suicides or accidents*, we see that a fella has a .0008% chance of dying of gunshot in Chicago over the course of a summer (if the figures provided were typical). Now we can assume that avoiding certain risky behaviors (e.g. selling drugs, wandering the bad parts of town) reduces a persons chances of being shot significantly, so I would say that a fella would have to be an utter coward to be afraid of being shot to death in Chicago well doing so.

* Suicides account for over half the gun deaths in the United States, so that is probably a bad assumption.

4. pro2A

Ok EI... Explain Washington DC then? 65 gun deaths per 10,000. Its the highest in the nation.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Don't go to the neighborhoods where you're not supposed to go and you won't have a problem. It's not like walking through downtown Chicago is like playing Russian roulette. It's a very safe place.

What are the gun laws like in Maryland? Baltimore is a lot more dangerous than Chicago is.

Sim likes this.
  6. pro2A

Avoiding the question.... can you guarantee my safety everywhere I go? Can you say with 100% certainty that I will not get robbed or mugged in the "safe" downtown Chicago?

7. Major

No. There's no such thing as 100% safe anywhere you go. However, you're probably safer walking through Chicago than you are doing your laundry at home.

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Can you garuntee that you're going to be ok even if you have a gun? You're more likely to get shot once you present a weapon, because then it becomes a life or death situation between you and the mugger. And you avoided EI's points. He's shown you a city where the gun ban worked extremely well. It's a safe city, contrary to the OP.

A gun doesn't garuntee 100% safety either.

Duke1985 and Sim like this.
  9. pro2A

So you admit that there is a possibility of me getting robbed or mugged? Why should I subject myself to unnecessary risk? I take self defense very personally.

Dude, houses get burglarized all the time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  10. Major

Suit yourself, man.

I was referring to the fact that you could get electrocuted by your washing machine. Do you drive a car? How many accident-related deaths are there? Do you carry a gun because you care about your safety, or do you carry it because it makes you feel big and powerful?