Going to the Theatre

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I've been to the theatre a couple times, mainly for ballet. I've seen Swan Lake and The Nutcracker and was even lucky enough to see the Mariinsky Ballet company perform. I've done more performances in theatres than I have actually watched them. I did ballet for 8 years and we would put on a show every year. I think the only time i've been other than to watch or perform ballet was to see a comedy show last year.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
As far as genre goes, I'm not as big a fan of musicals, and definitely not a fan of comedies (Shakespearean comedies maybe, if staged well, but even then...). If I'm going to pay $40+ a ticket, I wanna be moved, dammit.

Phantom of the Opera was pretty amazing, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing something like Fiddler on the Roof. Never going to pay to see Grease and that ilk.

viLky said:
I'm not really a fan. Growing up going to movie theaters all my life and FINALLY going to an actually play theater, it was like going from PlayStation 3 back to Atari. Ok, I can understand why people like it, and it may be fun for awhile, but I'll eventually get over that and would want to get the hell out of there.

I'm a graphics whore equivalent to whatever it may be called compared to a theater.
You just haven't seen the right plays yet.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I have a home-theater at well.. home . So yes, I enjoy. A lot.

;)
Unless you have an actual stage in your home I think you may be mistaken.

Impact said:
I've been to the theatre a couple times, mainly for ballet. I've seen Swan Lake and The Nutcracker and was even lucky enough to see the Mariinsky Ballet company perform. I've done more performances in theatres than I have actually watched them. I did ballet for 8 years and we would put on a show every year. I think the only time i've been other than to watch or perform ballet was to see a comedy show last year.
Where did you see the Mariinsky perform? Was it in Russia? I saw them do a ballet in St Petersburg once and it was amazing!

Also last night I saw a really amazing performance of Frankenstein by the National Theatre in London. Via NT Live. For anyone who doesn't know what that is the National Theatre have started recording their season in high definition footage and sound and showing it in various selected cinemas around the world. It's so amazing, it's recorded in a way that makes you feel like you are actually there.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Where did you see the Mariinsky perform? Was it in Russia? I saw them do a ballet in St Petersburg once and it was amazing!
No, i've never been to Russia. It was when they did a UK tour, but yes, they are amazing. My step mom was also big on ballet so my dad got us tickets. It was really cool.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
No, i've never been to Russia. It was when they did a UK tour, but yes, they are amazing. My step mom was also big on ballet so my dad got us tickets. It was really cool.
Awesome! When I was in Russia I saw them in this amazing theatre. They did a sort of medley of famous scenes from several different ballets. It was one of my favourite parts from my trip to Russia.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I have only been to school/University theater plays, most I enjoyed but would like very much to see a professional production.

I went to my first real Symphony last Saturday night and it was amazing. The musicians truly made you feel the sadness, joy and suspense, it was an unexpected pleasure I would do again.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I went to my first real Symphony last Saturday night and it was amazing. The musicians truly made you feel the sadness, joy and suspense, it was an unexpected pleasure I would do again.
I love the Symphony! I regularly visit the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, it's like a gift to your ears!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
In the past 12 months I've seen top musicals: Les Misérables (anniversary edition, they brought the London cast to Paris) and Lion King (in Vegas). I was impressed by both. There's something about live theatre that gives me a chill sometimes when watching. I wouldn't feel the same way if the theatre show was replayed on the telly.

ps. I'm moving this thread to Theatre section (not much used in this forum, haha).

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
No biggie. I forget we have it too sometimes. :lol: It's probably related to general interest of people in GF. We barely post about theatre productions. I wonder if it's the same way in real life. If we're barely surrounded by people who are interested in theatre, we're most likely less exposed to it or not find much interest in going into one. Movies, you can watch it alone, you can watch it at home. Something about going to see plays all by yourself doesn't appeal to me (and I'm someone who watch films by myself at movie theatres) and I think the lack of companion has affected the way I take opportunities to enjoy real theatre.