• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Going Pro?

Wade8813

Registered Member
The other day I started contemplating something that is simultaneously one of the most exhilarating and terrifying things I've ever considered. It's something that I've thought of before, but always dismissed it as unrealistic. I'm thinking of seriously attempting to become a professional Magic the Gathering player (For those that don't know, it's a popular card game played from the local all the way up to the international level. Yes, I really am that nerdy). The top levels have fairly decent sized cash prizes, but like many similar endeavors, the competition is rigorous. Like someone trying to become a professional athlete, poker player, or artist, the odds are fairly stacked against me.

I've realized that gaming seems to be the only thing in my life that I really have a passion for. There are other things I want, other things I enjoy - money, philosophy, sports, psychology, fame - all of those (and more) pale compared to the intensity with which I throw myself into gaming. Even when I get absolutely frustrated with myself for a poor performance at a tournament, I'm almost always right back into the thick of things. Even when I took a break from Magic for a little while, it was mostly other forms of gaming that captured my attention. Much of my time spent with friends tends to involve gaming.

I know this isn't likely to pan out. But I'm young, and that offers me some flexibility. And my inability to find anything else that really engages me among more conventional careers indicates I probably need to either find a way to become more engaged in normal pursuits, or try a less conventional career. And if this doesn't work, I'm still young enough to try my hand at a normal career.

But like I said, this terrifies me. Obviously most people would be scared about risking doing something like this - but doing something like this is pretty much the opposite of what I'd normally do. I tend to be very risk adverse, and this has low chance of success.

I wanted to let people know what's going on with me right now, but also to ask for advice. Most of you I don't know very well, but that doesn't mean you can't give useful advice.