Going on sales appointments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Millz, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Is there anybody else who is in sales who has to go on these as a part of their job? This is my third year with the organization and the first year I am required to go out on sales calls. I am given a list of zip codes and have to make cold calls and see if people will meet with me to talk about our programs. I'm not exactly a big fan of doing these and since I'm new with them, it is going to be pretty intimidating I think at the beginning.

Anybody who's done these before have any advice?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You should watch "The Office: Sales Training".

Actually scratch that. It will only discourage you. :D Seriously though, I've been in sales off and on for many years now. It's really about selling the client on you. If they don't think you know what you are talking about, then it won't matter how well you say it.

If you are meeting with them in person then that's even better. You have to think that by agreeing to a meeting they are already open to the idea of your product or service. You just have to relax and be yourself with them, professionally speaking of course. Don't act like you HAVE to make the sale or they will be able to see that. Just be upfront, personal, and friendly with them.

When they ask questions don't take it as an offensive maneuver on their part. A lot of people get defensive when people ask questions during a sales call. The answer is really just to give them the answer, in plain terms and as easy to understand as possible. Don't baby your answer or talk down to them, but instead feel them out and get an idea of where they are coming from. That way you can more easily level with them.

Most importantly, if things are going well and it comes time to ask for the sale. Ask for it. If you wait around for them to tell you that they want to buy you might be there all day. Say what needs to be said and then ask for the sale.

And I've done all types of sales from telemarketing, in person, retail, vc meetings, the works. It's not the easiest work at first, but once you get a feel for it you will become more comfortable.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Thanks for the advice Hybrix. That's some good stuff right there.

The part I think I'll struggle with the most is the initial calling process. Ironing out call after call and getting so many no's is going to be hard to handle but I'll have to just keep plugging away until I get where I need to be

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the trick is to remember that each person you talk to has no clue whether or not the person before said yes or no. Just because they said no doesn't mean the next person will.

Not to mention the fact that you'll hear no more than you hear yes. It's just the nature of the business.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I did sales for a while. I worked at the local visitor's bureau and I had to sell memberships. They key is believing in what you are selling, which I assume you do.

6. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

If I understand your problem correctly, and please corect me if im wrong, your nervus about calling people because you fear them saying no.

It may be, and I couldnt say for sure unless I spoke with you in length, that you subconciously fear the minor rejection of someone refusing your product/service.

Rejection is the keyword.

I think all you have to do is remember that these people you call are strangers and you will never see them again. I think you just have to ignore the nervs.

I would like to point out that fact that I dont think I fully understand your situation, so if I just made a fool of myself, flame me quickly

; )