Going in a safe mode

Discussion in 'Technology' started by mirxx250, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mirxx250

mirxx250 New Member

Hi , i need help with my PC. The problem is that I installed a wrong graphics card driver and now I can't eaven go to my PC's desktop. I went on nVidia homepage and they told me to enter in a safe mode and unistall the graphics card's driver (pressing F8 all the time). Put I can't go in a safe mode. There eaven isn't any text that says that to go in with a safe mode press F8 or smth. I can't go to my desktop 'cos there's only a black screen (can't see eaven a mouse):cry:. Maybe someone helps me to go in with a safe mode (no I can't go "Run.." and insert there "M... bla bla bla" something 'cos I can't see my desktop and not eaven a Welcome screen :(!)

I would be very very very very very very ... happy if someone helps me!:)

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Here's a list I found on another PC site. Sometimes it's not F8. Try checking out these options:

Acer: - Ctrl+Alt+Esc

ALR PC: (F2) or (Ctrl)(Alt)Esc)

AMI BIOS: (Del), (F1) or (F2)

AST, Advantage, Award, Tandon: - Ctrl + Alt + Esc

Award BIOS: (Del) or (Ctrl)(Alt)(Esc)

Compaq: (F10) (do this when the cursor is in the upper right corner of the screen blinking)

Dell: - F1 or Del.

Dell: - Some require pressing reset twice

Dell: - Ctrl + Alt + Enter

DTK BIOS: (Esc)

Gateway 2000: - F1

Hewlett Packard: - F1

IBM:
    • Older Models - In order to get into the configuration of the IBM setup screen (CMOS) screen you need to hold down both mouse buttons during bootup.
    • Aptiva - Press F1
    • IBM PS/2: (Ctrl)(Alt)(Ins) after (Ctrl)(Alt)(Del)
    • IBM PS/2 with reference partition: - Press Ins during boot
    • Some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90: - Ctrl Alt ?
    • Some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen: - Ctrl + Ins
    NEC: - F2

Packard Bell: - F1 or F2

Phoenix BIOS: (F1), (F2), or (Ctrl)(Alt)(Esc)

Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl Alt S

Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl S

Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl Alt Ins

Sharp Laptop 9020: - F2

Sony: (F3) while you are starting the PC, then (F2) or (F1)

Tandon computers: - Hold down the key after turning on power

Tandon: - Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Toshiba Laptops: - Toshiba Utility

Toshiba: - Press Esc during boot

Toshiba, Phoenix, late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s: - Press F1 during boot

Olivetti PC Pro: - Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad Del

Miscellaneous PC's: - Ctrl + Esc or Ctrl and Alt and +

Zenith: - Ctrl Alt Ins

3. mirxx250

mirxx250 New Member

None of this worked. 'lil bit more information : When I open my comptuter then there's everything normal but after this first page is gone (that page where you can press DELETE and ESC) then there come's this memory test but it's already at the end of the page (I could eaven see it going from up to down like usually). And then comes this black screen and I can hear a peep and something creak. And that's all , then there's only a black screen , nothing more.
    Btw , sorry for my English ://. I hope you understanded something :p.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Could be a few things:

Bad motherboard
    Bad Ram
    Bad Hard drive (probably not)
    Bad Operating System

I'd suggest swapping out the RAM and seeing if it works better with different RAM installed.

Otherwise it could be a bad operating system. Maybe you got a virus or something that messed it up. About the only advice I would have if that was the case would be to reinstall your OS from scratch. Hopefully you have all of your important files backed up though. If not then you should try to get them off before messing with your hard drive. Try putting the hard drive in a different computer and getting any of your information off that way if you don't have a backup.

(Hopefully it's not that complex of a problem though.)

5. mirxx250

mirxx250 New Member

I think it's caused that my computer is old (like 5 years old). But thanks for the help anyway. :)

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Did you remember to tap the button, and not just press it or hold it in?

7. bpool_lee

bpool_lee New Member

I maybe wrong but it sounds more like a RAM problem.