• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Going green

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I work in an industry where there seems to have been a huge change towards the “going green” theme. Corporate companies are paying to offset their carbon footprints when they travel and hotels are being built running on solar power and decorated with recyclables. CEO’s are driving their companies to be considerate of the environment while at work and away on business.

So here’s my question(s). Do you support the move to go green? Do you think hybrid cars and carbon offsetting is enough? Do you think it’s the least we can do to “save” our environment? Is it too little too late? If you were a CEO of your own company, would you support this green-drive wholeheartedly within your company or would you not bother, thinking nothing you can do could make a real difference?

Saffy

Registered Member
Im not sure of statistics or wether its too late or not,,, but i think ,, well it cant hurt can it? i mean if we all tried to do something to be a little greener, its not hurting anyone and may be helping enormously in the long run:stare:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Im not sure of statistics or wether its too late or not,,, but i think ,, well it cant hurt can it? i mean if we all tried to do something to be a little greener, its not hurting anyone and may be helping enormously in the long run:stare:
That depends on what you mean by hurting anyone. I don't support any government mandate that I change certain things about my house or the size of the vehicle I drive based on something that can't be proven. I don't mind recycling and not wasting energy and things like that. I do mind driving a tiny little car instead of my truck, or being punished by way of taxes for driving one.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I find it little more than a marketing campaign designed to sell to the "green" crowd. I think it is usually a laughable effort more about marketing than any substantial effort. My product/service is more green than my competitor, so it is worth the premium price and you can feel good about spending more on our product/service.

A good example is that little card in your hotel room saying that they don't want to wash the towels and linens and you can feel good about it.

I do believe in conservation and support recycling, etc. I just think claims of being "green" are frequently inflated.

Saffy

Registered Member
That depends on what you mean by hurting anyone. I don't support any government mandate that I change certain things about my house or the size of the vehicle I drive based on something that can't be proven. I don't mind recycling and not wasting energy and things like that. I do mind driving a tiny little car instead of my truck, or being punished by way of taxes for driving one.
oh sorry ,, i didnt even think it through properly i suppose before commenting:stare:i was talking more about myself doing what i could to help,, like you say with recycling etc. I agree bigger changes such as what to drive etc would be different, and honestly i cant see that taking effect unless there is actual proof.

I find it little more than a marketing campaign designed to sell to the "green" crowd. I think it is usually a laughable effort more about marketing than any substantial effort. My product/service is more green than my competitor, so it is worth the premium price and you can feel good about spending more on our product/service.

A good example is that little card in your hotel room saying that they don't want to wash the towels and linens and you can feel good about it.

I do believe in conservation and support recycling, etc. I just think claims of being "green" are frequently inflated.
Some good points there indeed;)

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Americans waste a lot, that's not news. I think what started as an honest effort to reduce waste and maximize output has become more of a social movement which is somewhat unfortunate. There are some situations where "going green" has become just flat out stupid and ridiculous. However I think a lot of it is just fine. Once again, it's just people afraid of change.

Also fun fact: It's more harmful to the environment to produce a Prius than it is to produce a Hummer due to the harmful materials put into a Prius.